Newbie Generator Question

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by kylezahid, May 24, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The link in the OP says it's 120v only.

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea, I looked again, at the Manual, and you are CORRECT, @oil pan 4 it is 120Vac only.... what threw me was the Circular Output Socket, with Two of the leads being Neutral/Ground Lines... Never seen a Circular 120 Vac socket, wired like that... ...

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The 120v only TT-30 which looks like a dryer plug is becoming more popular.
    Unless you are a camper or RV person you probably will never see or use it.
    If I want 30 amps of 120v power I prefer the L5-30. But that's personal preference.

sec_monkey and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

One thing I love about living in Cambodia:
    230vac, 50hz. biglaff [tongue]

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

The TT-30

[​IMG]

not to be foosed with the soviet/russian TT-30/TT-33 7.62×25mm Tokarev pistol

6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The 120 V only Gensets I've seen of late have this type of connector, specifically intended for Travel Trailer connection.

A number of people make the mistake of purchasing a split-phase genset with a specific rated power output, say 3200 W, only to find that it won't power the air conditioner on their travel trailer. They can't figure out why (I don't need to explain it here) so they end up purchasing a 6500 W split phase unit, again only using half of the rated output.

The 120 volt only gensets with the 30A mating connector for a travel trailer solves that problem, but it's intended use is pretty much solely for travel trailers.

If TT manufacturers were halfway intelligent, they would have designed them to operate on 240 VAC with a small built in step-down transformer or even an autotransformer to run microwaves outlets, etc, and use 240 VAC air conditioner units such that regular split phase 240 VAC gensets could be used. It would cut down on the amount of current draw that needed to be supplied over what amounts to an extension cord, along with the resulting voltage drop.

Maybe it's just me but if you have to pull 30A at 120 volts to get it done, you're operating at too low of a voltage. The larger travel trailers are even worse. They use a 50A 120 volt connection because they often have two air conditioners that could possibly be running at the same time.

Dumb.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    sec_monkey likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have also seen the classic NEMA 10-30 dryer plug (240v 3 prong with an L prong in the middle normally the straight prongs are your hots) repurposed for 120v.
    In this application the L prong becomes the ground, the left prong becomes the neutral and the right becomes the hot. But this was done in like the 1950s or 60s.

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My Honda 3000 watt 120 volt has a three prong out put or twin standard 120 outlets. It threw me as well Bruce. I actually wired it for 240 the first time and nothing worked ha ha ha . It is the twist lock three prong for black 120, white neutral and ground. And yes you can run both sides of a two pole panel by using a jumper on the breaker in. The Electrician who wired it used a double pole breaker 30 amp in and jumped the hot lines so when the breaker in on? both legs are fed 120. Remember we first removed all of our 120 circuits to separate panels and Isolated our 240 into the big panel. W e run ALL of our 120 circuits with our 3000 watt Honda . We use the Isolation sliders to keep that breaker and the main from being on at the same time. I can run 240 or 120 or both with three panels.

oil pan 4 and BTPost like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I too was once fooled by an Onan 6500 watt out of a TV van. Two legs of 120! We use it for Ham radio events.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7