newly acquired....

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by dragonfly, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

We just got a GENERAC 4000 watt gasoline generator. A Monster! Very heavy and runs like a top, AFTER we replaced the cracked plastic fuel tank with a new steel one. Cost $250.00 incl tune up and new tank.
    Anyone have any experience with these before?
    Anything I should be aware of?

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Hello DragonFly. Well, it's not quite a monster , but if your only into it $250.00 and it runs good, it is a pretty darn good deal. What will really matter with this machine , is what type of motor has it got ? The first Generac's were actually pretty good, while the mid term ones had the bullsh** and stratton engines were the real weak ones. They will be generally ok for short term things, but not too good for long term all day type running.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

+1. Generacs are short term machines, designed for backup and intermittent service, not baseload (long term) use.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If I had the complete Model and Serial Number, I could be more specific, but in general, Generac is commonly known as GenerJunk in the Portable Power Trade. You are only $250US into it, and that is certainly, well under its worth, but usually these Consumer Grade Gensets are OVERRated in actual Load Ratings, and longevity. Should you need to deal with any issues that might arise with your genset, there is a specific Forum for Generac Gensets over on Antique Engines Antique Tractors Steam Engines and Old Iron, where professional Genset Mechanics (Our Resident SmartGuys) hang out, and they can answer any and all of your questions.

5. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Well, thank-you mr Bruce. I like that kind of info on here. Let people become more advised or educated about these critical things. Links like the one you provided are the best thing you can do . +1

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7