Next gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sharpie44, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

This is my next aquisition. My boss is buying it for me as a sponsor at our weekly IPSC matches. Now I got to get accessories..LOL...think they cost more than this piece of tin did to start with.
    SC45left.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

You need a FAL

3. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

That's a nice race gun, SC! I think I agree with QS(C)-oops! in that you need a race FAL! That'd be hawt! [gun]

Byte

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I was talking that Sharpie44 needed a FAL Seacowboys has lots of Fals

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I'm old, a bit opinionated, and set in my ways. I see you are in Ohio, ever give any thought to the M1 Garand from the CMP? For a semi-auto just for fun at long range, they are hard to beat.

Semi-auto handgun? Glock, simple to learn, not too expensive, parts plentiful, accurate and unless you have really weird shaped hands, you should be able to find one that fills your desires.

No shotgun reference because that bolt shotgun will do for hunting here in Ohio. I own several single shots and a Rem 870. I'm not a big fan of shotguns. Forced to use them here at home.

6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

OOOO I still think a race FAL would rock! [beer]

Byte

7. Seacowboys

Well I got my Brazos today and fired a couple of mags; now it is time to accessorize...LOL...Didn't realize .38 super ammo had gotten so scarce. Just ordered dies and am about to order a few thousand bullets and brass. Still need to find a holster that I can adjust to for open competition and some mag pouches, maybe a few more mags...the list goes on. Just what I needed; another hobby gun.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sea, that STI is a beauty.

9. Seacowboys

Yep, it's sweet. Now I got to accessorize. Took it to the range today and put a couple hundred really fast double-taps through it; no barrell rise at all, just a straight push back. Averaged two inch spacing at 26 yards with double-taps that you can hardly separate the sound from. I think I'm in love.

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would seriously consider keeping the ammo set back for the bolt gun and get your semi and ammo independent of the ammo on hand.

My thoughts here may be flawed but what kind of comes to my mind is that if you are shooting out at long ranges then you should be able to get through haveing more time between shots and reloading as needed with a bolt gun. So the semi would be most suited for moderate range (say primarily inside 150 yards) so I would consider a carbine in a common calibur to a handgun. At those ranges and fired from a rifle barrel 9mm for instance should be quite effective and the ammo is cheaper than the rifle amo and also lighter to cary if you have to take it on the move.

I as raised on revolvers and love them BUT since I started carying daily I have found that its a LOT harder to carry/conceal a comperable revolver than a semi auto. By comperable Im referring to same calss and same or comperable cal like say the 9mm Beretta 92 FS and the S&W highway patroleman in .357. I really have never ben one to wory that much about capacity since I have no delusions of grandure and know that its entirely possible that if attacked and forced to use a handgun for defense then would be faceing folks similarly skilled (likely haveing been through more gun fights than me but less target practice) and likely outnumbered and it takes no more for me to die than for the other guy so the odds of me killing 3 armed attackers alone and surviving (particularly since they would almost certainly have an advantage since they would be initiating the atack and I would be responding) so I figure enouph rounds and a propper gun to place 6 shots where they need to go would most likely last a lifetime. That said due to ease of carry which means its ON ME more often, I have gone over to carrying semi autos. I will say its nice to have the extra ammo there just because I always like to be over prepaired but the main thing is the concealability and that they are more comfortable to carry.

On the reliability, I have had 2 different revolvers (a Rossi and a High standard) that have refused to function properly. So the idea that a revolver never malfunctions dosent hold for me anymore and when they malfunction they tend to take a LOT more time to get back into action. My favorite handguns are the Bersa 380 and mini 9mm since based on my experience I can say with certainty they are both at LEAST 99.9% reliable (havent had malfunctions yet in the .380 but onlyhave about 2k rounds through it so can say for sure past that figure and in about as many through the 9mm only 1 malfunction) and as a bonus they are about half the price of the Glocks AND are DSA so you can have a lighter more accurate trigger pull.

So basicly a 9mm carbine backed up with a 9mm handgun (idealy with interchangable mags but thats just a bonus) and say 10 mags for the rifle and say 1k rounds of ammo should all be possible if shoping frugaly for the same $1k and could offer more versatility not ot mention that the ammo is cheaper and easier to replenish both now and most likely in a post SHTF situation.

Just a line of thought to consider....

11. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

...Cept there's not much a 9mm out of a carbine will do that you can't do with a pistol.

If your gonna bother carrying a rifle... carry a rifle.

My next gun is a Krink. I'm ordering the parts kit tomorrow.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7