1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

NFA Questions from Gunshow

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I just returned from a gun show in Mobile; prices were high, ammunition stupidly so, and every other person there was a cop of one kind or another. I noticed a Serbu for sale with a $5.00 AOW tax and wondered how they can sell them in Alabama since state law here prohibits short barreled shotguns and SBRs. I asked around and got a lot of different answers that leaves me even more confused. The Serbu, for those of you that are not familiar with them, is basically a shortened 870 Remington with a 10" barrel. The reason this is considered an AOW instead of a sawed-off shotgun, is that it is constructed as a short-barreled shotgun and never had a life as a shotgun until it was manufactured as an AOW. My question was why an SBR can't be constructed by the same criteria and the best answer I got was the Serbu is called an AOW and never referred to as a shotgun. Even if you constructed an SBR from scratch and it never saw life as a rifle, it would still be illegal here because it has a rifled barrel. I still don't make much sense from this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg H√ľndchen

Just more government regulatory bs...
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary