Nice to meet you all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GoingOffGridInCalifornia, Sep 27, 2016.

1. My husband and I reside in a small town in Northern California in the foothills. About 1 hr 15 min from Reno. We've known for a very long time we want to go off-grid so are currently attempting to get a loan to buy. This is a wonderful forum, I look forward to interacting with you all. Since I work in Grass Valley, we are seeking to go offgrid in a small town up to about an hour away. Somewhere higher in elevation with many trees for cleaner air. And hopefully do it very inexpensively

Lisa

GOG, 3M-TA3, sarawolf and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

You will get snow up there.. And Welcome to the Monkey. Somewhere around Camino?

Oops, wrong highway... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Welcome to this forum!

4. Yep :) We'll have to buy a 4 wheel drive.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Hopefully Emigrant Gap or Alta. But we are also looking down hwy 20 towards Challenge, CA

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Welcome to the monkey. Northern CA is supposed to be beautiful. How many acres are you looking for? I ask because I have seen the debate often over 5 is good, ten is better etc. I guess it depends on how you plan to be off grid. Glad you joined, look forward to reading your posts.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Hi. [afro]

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Welcome to the tree.

9. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

11. Hi Motomom
    We are looking for at least a half acre, but one acre+ would be good. We'll have a greenhouse for growing food either area and a garden. And likely build a root cellar if we are able to move to Emigrant Gap. My preference is a cabin where we can use one of those old stoves to cook on. We used to have chickens so are looking forward to doing that again with maybe a few other barn animals. We would love an electric car but are concerned about the tracking devices so my husband is considering using an older car and we'd make our own gasoline.

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Rule of thumb is one acre per person for veggies & animals. I'd suggest doubling that for 4-5 acres for the two of you. Also, if the economy nosedived or other disaster happened what would be the likelihood that your son (mentioned in your other thread) would join you with spouse (possibly future one) and children?

Dip across the line in Nevada where the laws are better and land is cheaper and someplace a ways off I80.

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Lisa!!

14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

15. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome Aboard!

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome Lisa....the girls will feel just that little less outnumbered here. What they lack in quantity (so far) is more than offset by quality! (well, enough gender sniveling from me) Enjoy your stay here Lisa.

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7