1. The Topic of the Month for May 2017 is "Motivationals." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Night vision scope

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TnAndy, May 20, 2006.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I'm interested in a night vision scope for an AR-15.

Willing to spend up to 12-1500 on one, any suggestions ?

......more I look, the more confused I get.

Would like one that uses AA batteries if possible.

Thanks !

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thats a tough budget Andy.
    I'll let you look through one of mine next time we get together :evil:

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Andy.
    I have had 2 Gen III monoculars.

I just sold the MUM2 to a friend for $4000

I kept the ANVIS built of a the battery box from http://www.ABnightision.com

Both are VERY simliar to the PVS 14 and can be headmounted or weapon mounted. I can slap my ANVIS of my head and stick it on a Flattop AR right behind the Trijicon Relex II and still see the triangle.

I looked at them long and hard before ever buying. I looked through gen Is and found them to clunky, large and blurry for my wants. Gen IIs are better but I still found myself wanting to spend the extra grand for the Gen III. It's also more versatile in the mounting configs available.

A word of advice. Most of those 'digital' units for a few hundred buck are crap. We tried one out and I didn't like it beyond 20 yards.

The Gen III will pick up over 1000 yrds as has been my experience. Remind me to bring one when we next get together. Doh, I think I had it in the truck last March.....

These pics through the unit are grainy because I have to hold up the camera behind the mono and estimate the focus. THey are 100X more clear with the eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What kind of AR? Got a flat top? If so, I suggest a EoTech 552 and a monocular like Melbo has shown. If you have a carry handle AR, then you can either get a flat mount to attach, or get a PVS-4. The PVS-14s will run you easily into the $2,500 range, if you go with less, you need to inspect it and ask for a tube sheet. If you truely want 12-15 hundred, then a PVS-4 might fit your bill. A Gen III PVS-4 can be had for that range. The drawback is that once mounted, then it is dedicated without having to re-zero all the time.

5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hell i would settle for a flat top with an Eotech;)

6. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

See Magnus, sometimes it sucks to be a AK owner! :dunno:

7. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nah I will get there:D but for the price of one AR and all the toys you guys put on them, I have a lot more AK's:D

8. stimpy117

stimpy117 Monkey+++

T-Man,
    Go to www.savysurvivor.com he'll also trade in PM's. That's where I got mine. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7