Night Vision set up.....?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Dunerunner, Jan 22, 2019.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yall the cams Lucy & co is buildin can do IR ;) ;)

that is all we is gonna say publicly

will also say they aint recommended fer this application but can be adapted with some ****

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Head gear or Weps mounting? when you say IR, true IR, or hybrid Starlite?

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This Lucy?

lucy-scarlett-johansson-3.

4. sec_monkey

both.

the cams are IR sensitive, absolutely *not* true FLIR though. we can also build them using genuine FLIR sensors made by FLiR but those cost a ton of FRNs.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Can ya do Starlite? Might be a gooder option to the more 'Spensive options! Practically the same thing,only different! LOL

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. sec_monkey

negative. negative.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. sec_monkey

the Vietnam era Starlite scopes? or jus light amplification?

oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Am saving the FRN's for a 640 p FLIR. 10 years ago, what I am wanting now for $6000 ran well north of $20,000. Can the market go any lower? Sure hope so but if not will buy what I have my heart set on.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

True Starlight!

oldman11, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You guys are hitting modern stuff here. Do a site search on "night vision". melbo had a thread going several years ago, info is not up to date, but might have some insights.

11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I did a bit of reading and I don't think this 'ATN X-Sight 4K Pro' is ready yet...sounds like software just isn't there yet and some are saying the hardware isn't either but, must admit, the concept is a winner and has got me real excited. I will be watching this product.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

50E4CB9C-B112-491F-8BEC-961713DAF6F8. C6ED6397-6870-4EE1-81FE-192107C5BF0A.
    170 yards at my feeder. The IR light is on a solar powered wireless security camera. It’s an ATN X-Sight 4x12 (old version) I got used for $400, mounted on an AR15. Sighted it in to a 2 in grouping during the day. It’s big and heavy and hard to get used to, but it works.

3M-TA3, oldman11, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  13. sec_monkey

Lucy & Co. can build somethin like the ATN except bigger n bulkier with a faster quad core CPU or 4 core plus 4 core CPU, or 6 core CPU, or possibly 8 core CPU and more RAM than the ATN ;) ;)

we can also use real FLIR sensors at various resolutions

fer a True Starlight we would need to do extra R & D

oldman11, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I use the ATN Pro Day/Night scope on one of my rifles and it works pretty well. The only downside is that it does not work well without the IR light. I would prefer a non-digital model that you could use in the moonlight without the IR light.

15. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

A spotlight would be much cheaper. Just my poor observation. I use lights hooked up to motion detectors. lights show me where people are at and I can turn on remote lights to shine on various areas. Dogs and chickens back this up.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  16. Didn't the romans use geese as intrusion alarm's? Down makes great pillows. And ya' can't make good spritz cookies without goose grease.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  17. sec_monkey

yall I talked to Lucy, she said if we can raise enuff FRNs fer R&D she can have one or more very crude prototypes roughly similar to the ATN done in about 2 to 4 weeks with pics to follow

the really advanced optics can easily cost roughly $20,000 per unit, Lucy did some research on that, some units tend to be too big and too heavy to be used as a rifle scope.

Dunerunner, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Exactly, like mounting a 70's era TV on a rifle.

19. sec_monkey

kinda but not quite that bad.

they are heavy though.

oldman11, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like the versatility, especially since tromping around in the dark looking through a NV scope sounds awkward at best.

Even though we all know this (right?), remember that the more inexpensive NV systems are active and only an advantage against those without NV. Used against ANY other NV you are light up brightly by the active IR. Used against people with later (and more expensive) passive systems all they do is paint you BRIGHT to them while you still have to look for them like other objects.

Against unprepared thugs it's an advantage. Against military or police (hopefully things never get there), maybe just put on an IR strobe and hope they think you are a friendly.

oldman11, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. AgentPickle
  8. HK_User
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. oldman11
  11. BenP
  12. Oddcaliber