Nist shutting down WWV, WWVH?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Just got email from ARRL. NIST wants to shut sown WWV, and WWVH next year. Budget problems.That is one I never thought I'd see.

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yep yep :( :(

some or all devices that depend on WWV plus WWVH will likely stop werkin when they are shut down, if they do not have a backup, the agencies have reportedly admitted they do not really know what the impact of the shut down will be

3. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

The other stable time function - Loran-C was already shut down. I guess they assume nothing can ever happen to the GPS satellites....

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. sec_monkey

china .. russia .. north korea .. plus potentially others have anti-satellite weapons

ya cannot count on the GPS constellation always being there

Lancer, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Got the same alert via a different means, but got it.

This one is Navy, not NIST. Dunno which came first--
    https://tycho.usno.navy.mil/timer.html
    Nor do I know what NASA uses for a time standard, but you can bet the entire acreage of Fat Moore's skin that they have one.

That all said, this is a budget proposal that may or may not be
    -real
    -or even possible to be passed.
    Don't wave bye-bye yet.

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

About 7 million saved and we spend hundreds of billions for welfare. Guess it makes sense. Spent 100 million on New Hampshire senate election campaign in 2016 so there is more to that story than meets the eye.
    Seems like we are putting all the eggs in one huge basket, all airlines, most civil aircraft, all military aircraft and ships, most missiles and artillery, most army movements, most automobiles, all most all cell phones, depend on GPS and no one is trained or equipped to go back to the old ways,

Mountainman and sec_monkey like this.
  7. sec_monkey

it is true the proposed budget could be modified, or some congress critters might add it back in .. [dunno]

antiquated nav aids can save yer life when everythin else goes down

Zimmy likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It isn’t the ONLY Time Standard on HF Radio.... They lik ely just do not. want to front the Costs of replacem ent Transmitters, and Antennas, this time around...

Tevin and sec_monkey like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

If they shut down WWV then the SKYSPOT program is kaput. Not good - not good at all.....

Zimmy and sec_monkey like this.
  10. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

In a previous life: USCG boot camp made everyone learn how to determine position with a clock and a sextant. Now it's what button do I push. Sad.
    Dating myself I guess...
    Edit: 160 bucks for a name brand day/night sextant. making me think I should get one and teach the younguns how it's really done,

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Zimmy, oldawg, Mountainman and 3 others like this.
  11. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I get the feeling the pushback against closing WWV is mostly due to nostalgia. There isn't very much WWV actually does that is mission critical. It's nice to have a frequency reference and way to check real-world propagation, but really, is it that big of a deal that there needs to be a whole radio station just for this?

WWV & WWVH have been knocked off the air before, in some cases for several hours, and the world did not implode.
    WWV and WWVH Broadcast Outages

If there is some compelling reason why WWV needs to exist, then ok, fine. But seriously, does it actually have an important role that cannot be fulfilled any other way or is it just another lazy do-nothing government entity that coasts on its legacy?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7