No Charges for Officer in Submachine Gun Killing;

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

No Charges for Officer in Submachine Gun Killing; Promised to 'Blow' Victim's 'Head Off'

Paul Detrick|Oct. 24, 2012 7:06 pm
    Officer Steve Gilley of the Downey Police Department will not face charges from the Los Angeles District Attorney's office for the October 2011 submachine gun death of Michael Nida in Downey, Calif.
    The prosecutor who investigated the killing said that Nida ignored warnings from police, including one from Gilley who promised to "blow [Nida's] head off." From the LA Times:
    Prosecutor Stephanie Sparagna, however, wrote that Nida repeatedly resisted arrest and ran from police three times. He also ignored warnings from police, including one from the officer that he would "blow his head off" if Nida did not show his hands.
    Sparagna found that Gilley reasonably feared Nida and was armed and dangerous, even though he eventually was determined not to be the robbery suspect and was unarmed. Sparagna said Gilley was required to make a split-second decision.
    "Given the rapidly evolving, dangerous situation that confronted Officer Gilley, we conclude that Officer Steven Gilley was justified in using deadly force to prevent Nida's escape," she wrote in the report released Tuesday.
    The killing of Michael Nida, 31, led to protests at the site of the shooting and in front of the Downey city council. Reason TV covered the story in "Cops with Machine Guns: The Killing of Michael Nida."

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is absolutely NO Justification, for a Civilian LEO, to be Armed with an Automatic Weapon. NONE.... My Opinion..... YMMV.... but if it does, Please recount a situation where an Automatic Weapon might possibly be used, over a SemiAuto version of the same weapon.....

tulianr likes this.
  3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Ah... well... ya' know... he was warned.

:rolleyes:

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Other than the militarization of the cop shoppes, what was used in the shoot is immaterial. Hit twice? Two shots are essentially impossible in full auto. That leaves two possibilities, either a lot of rounds missed, or it was fired in semi mode (if that rifle is selective fire.) In any case, that cop needs some training.

tulianr and BTPost like this.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

back shots..........

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have to speak up here, as I have shot in numerous sanctioned submachine-gun matches very similar to USPSA or IPSC matches where you engage multiple targets while moving against a stop-watch. So many folks foster the myth that multiple hits are not possible with an automatic weapon and this couldn't be further from the truth. Television portrays the spray and pray shooting because it looks good on screen but a reasonably competent person trained with a submachine-gun, much like a person trained with a handgun, can get first shot hits and keep automatic burst-fire in the alpha-zone without a single round leaving the paper from ranges point-blank to better than 25 yards, while moving and shooting against a clock so I can't think of any reason that a trained police officer can't do the same? i do this with a 1928 Thompson, an Uzi, and a Swedish K, all open bolt guns. I almost always get out-gunned by the folks that shoot the HKs and some of the other closed-bolt weapons. I can do this with my M14 and "everybody" knows that the reason we discontinued the M14 was because it couldn't be controlled during automatic fire. At least that's what they were told.

7. ghrit

Multiple real hits aren't the question, it's the number of hits from a full auto. Getting a finger off the trigger before several shots are fired seems improbable. Gotta be quick.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

In my early military service I trained with the Owen Machine Carbine (OMC), a WWII era submachine gun of Australian design, subsequently replaced by the F1 SMG. The OMC was a fairly primitive, yet extraordinarily robust, reliable and functional weapon. It had no selective fire capability, but even at a cyclic rate of fire of 700 rounds per minute, we were trained to fire single rounds as an alternative to auto fire, just by finger manipulation....my reflexes were probably much better than then. In the Youtube clip below, soldiers can be seen firing the OMC.

Owen Machine Carbine, Mark 1

Owen Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goodness......that Youtube clip brought back memories.....ah Singleton Army Camp....(the a*sehole of Australia)

9. ghrit

Soldiers trained for it, well, OK. Miscellaneous cops are another fish chowder.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7