No work of art, but....

Discussion in 'Blades' started by monkeyman, Apr 7, 2008.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well the newestone may not be a work of art but I figure it turned out ok for its purpose as an oversized trapper type pocket knife that could be used for butchering anything from bunnies to beef.

The white thing in the pics is an electronic door key and the size of a credit card for scale.
    Photo-0038. Photo-0039.

2. monkeyman

Has the skinning blade and the boneing blade both made from industrial bandsaw blade with a PVC handle and brass pivot pins. Not sure whats up with the pic where it looks like the blade is rusty (pics taken with my phone) but the 'rust' dont show up in person.

Butchered one goat a couple weeks ago but still got one that needs to go in the freezer so may have to try this one out in the next few days before tossing it into the BOB.

3. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looks good and useful - and now you've made more folders than I have! :)

4. monkeyman

lol Yeah, not near as nice or well finished as the fixed blades you make at least though. Now I just need to figure out (or just do it) how to best make a lock blade or at least spring load the blades (like normal pocket knives). Both of them I have done up so far just rely on a tight fit and stiff movement to keep the blades open and closed. I figure that project should be interesting, especialy with the equiptment I use, an angle grinder, a belt sander (hand held not the bench type and just held upside down and locked on in a vise) and files and stones as needed. lol

5. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Is the handle that color from heating it ?

What did you use for pins ?

Will the blade/pin/handle be strong enough to actually gut and skin without the blade going backwards through the handle material ?

Pretty interesting work MM !!

6. monkeyman

Yeah the color is from heating the PVC pipe to make it so I could shape it.

For the pins I used brass rod to put through then hammered it on a vise to swell it out just a bit and make it a tighter fit which also makes the blade move stiffer.

I havent done any butchering since I got it made up so havent tested it but I have another slightly smaller single blade knife made the same basic way and use it quite a bit and it works well. I use it for cutting rope and all sorts of stuff and theres not a bunch of hacking or whatever when skinning/butchering and if the knife is kept sharp theres no heavy force on it either so dont forsee any problems at all but do want to use it for a critter before counting on it in the BOB.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7