Not all AR15s are created equal.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by phishi, Sep 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My oldest are SP1s, none forward assist. Figure to hand them down the line.

2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

No expert on ARs for sure. That said, my goto rifle is a conglomeration of surplus parts including a marked m16 barrel, Oly lower and a noname upper in an A-1 configuration. After 2-3 thousand rounds only a handful of FTFs all traceable to one batch of a popular brand of import junk ammo. My opinion is the skill level of the armourer is more important than the maker of the parts. Mine came from someone who knew his stuff. I should add that I do believe in parts being good quality and in spec. As my 1911 a1 is proof of that after 4-5 thousand rounds and no breakage yet. YMMV

3. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

There is some junk out there for ARs, no doubt.

But the fact is if you take most any mainstream AR stake the carrier and castle nut, ensure the gas tube is properly aligned, feed it good ammo and keep it lubed then the gun will out shoot most people that pick it up.

Things like the twist rate of the barrel, parking under the fsb, fsb height, or the type of steel the barrel is made of has no, repeat no bearing on reliability.

The people that worship the chart also go out and buy non TDP front rails, trigger groups, grips, stocks, buffers, mag releases, charging handles, ad infinitum and still talk about that fact that their front sight base has park underneath it so it matches the "chart". (Head explodes)

Bottom line is not all AR are created equal, but most ARs from mainstream manufactures that are gone over by a qualified armorer are probably more reliable than military issue AR type weapons.

High end chart ARs in the hands of someone that does nor know how to maintain AR makes a good club.

The chart is just a chart.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

gunbunny and oldawg like this.
  4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

This thread reminds me of the time a friend asked me about chrome lining. I told him that because of my background shooting matches, (they shun the use of chrome lining due to the uneven nature of the chrome's thickness and it's impact on accuracy) that I don't bother with it.

He looked at me like I had leprosy or something. I tried to explain that there are many different ways to go about things, but he was the type that believed that his way was THE only way, and if you didn't do it HIS way, well then you must just be an idiot. I understand why some people choose to use chrome plated barrels, for a few thousand more rounds life expectancy, ease of cleaning and such.

I just choose not to worry about it, as I have enough barrels to last me the rest of my life. My favorite AR uppers have melonite covered stainless steel barrels. The thing that matters most is how the barrel is used- when rounds are mercilessly launched downrange one after the other as quickly as possible, repeatedly, barrel life will suffer for it. I don't care if you have a chrome lined bore or not.

Spares, my friends, have spares.

bfayer and BTPost like this.
  5. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

Author Patrick Sweeney conducted a pretty detailed "torture test" of more than a few AR's from many manufacturers (Gun Digest Book of the AR-15 Volume 4, copyright 2012) with some surprising results.

His findings? From Del-Ton on up the AR ladder, a quality built AR (regardless of brand) will fulfill the majority of a shooter's needs.

That said, I have just over 2,500 trouble-free rounds through a 4-year old S&W M&P AR with malfs I can count on one hand.

6. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

Forward assist?
    I never saw one used in the Corps (M16A2) and quite frankly, most people have no clue as how to even use it.
    You do not beat on it with the palm of your hand, you simply push it forward to fully seat a round which is something you can accomplish with your thumb on the bolt cuts. FA is about as useful as forward cocking seerations on a 1911; you want to actually place your support hand that much closer to the muzzle while chambering a round? Be my guest, but it's not the brightest (or safest) habit in the world.

7. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

Unfortunately, many folks get wrapped in in anything "MilSpec" and have no idea that in certain areas of military procurement, milspec is nothing more than a specific requirement, to include firearms.

Is it the best? Sadly, not always.

Any vets here remember the USGI-issue chevron-soled combat boots that you replaced every 5-6 months? When I served, we didn't have the luxury of Danner or Bates for optional "authorized wear."

Ever snap off a USGI issue Ka-Bar type fighting knife's blade using it to pry with? I have. I know, I know, use the correct tool for the job but if a thin-tang combat knife is all you have, you make do.

My point is that mil spec has never been the end-all-be-all for military issued gear.

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Best I can say for forward assist is when you need it it may be too late.

BTW, FA was a fix used to overcome the PP Powder that was not part of the original design as the second cheaper ball powder did not burn and would stay in the chamber as bits of solid waste that would then jam the rounds so they would not chamber OR cause the empties to fuse to the chamber and then the extractor would pull of the rim edge. The first M16s were not even provided a full length cleaning rod or a full set of cleaning gear. YUP you sure did need the FA until the correct powder was back in the MIL Spec ammo used.

OTOH, Hunting Hogs it is real nice to be able to quietly check for a round in the chamber, gently let the charging handle go forward and then use the Forward Assist to make sure it goes BANG when you need it, this by seating bolt home.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    oldawg and BTPost like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Have used forward assist a few times trying out some comblock ammo at the range. My particular chamber is not fond of some of the early steel cased stuff. Would I cry if it wasn’t there, probably not but a nice feature I like.

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34