Not only do you need guns... you need bigger ones and good shot placement

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

If I may give an update on the fellow killed in Idaho.. This being my neck of the woods, the autopsy results on the dead hunter showed he died from a gunshot wound from his young friend.. This whole situation was avoidable in the first place.. The hunters miss identified the grizz as a black bear when they shot it the first time. Then they tracked it into the brush with poor field of vision, still unaware that they shot a grizzly.. Very sad situation and I'll wager BT could relate a lot more tales just like this one... That is why out of staters need guides..

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, that Brownie very likely backtracked and the stalked the fellow, and then his buddy was so hyped he shot his partner... Standard behavior of a wounded Brownie... And not uncommon for inexperienced hunters...

3. Dont

He shot through the bear as I understand it.. Have seen a couple young ones around but they don't seem to hang around long.. A neighbor watched a grizz chasing a herd of elk down the side of a mountain last fall.. He should have got some pic's..

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you are in Brownie Country, you WANT a Big Bore Rifle, and 30-06 is a mere PopGun when you are dealing with Brownies... Just about ALL Alaskan Bear Guides, and All ADF&G Field Techs carry 45-70 Guide Guns... Not Shotguns, and NEVER Pistols of ANY Size... Pistols in Bear Country, are a mark of a FlatLander, out of his depth, with no Clue. .....

Silversnake likes this.
  5. Dont

I do my deer hunting with a 270. But just got a 300win mag. this past summer.. Just wandering around the place, I have the 12 ga. mossberg loaded with buck and slugs. Like said, the grizz don't stay here long.. Have fools across the valley at the ski resort that like to feed the bears.. Hhhhmmm.. Can't tell em much.. It's a wonder we don't have more run ins here..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7