Not swearing her oath of office on 'The Bible', how simply terrible!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chelloveck, Jan 3, 2019.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Krysten Synema successfully swapped a US Congress seat, for a US Senate seat in the 2018 midterm elections....The VeeP must have been cringing when Krysten recited her oath of office, holding a lawbook instead of the 'bible'.
    Sen. Kyrsten Sinema Took Her Oath of Office on a Lawbook, Not the Bible

[​IMG]

An 'unaffiliated'(by religion), openly bisexual woman in the US Senate...how terrible!

Arizona's Kyrsten Sinema to be first openly bisexual U.S. senator

How Trump Accidentally Helped Democrat Kyrsten Sinema Flip Jeff Flake’s Arizona Senate Seat

Apparently toting a gun these days is just not enough to get elected anymore....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Pretty clearly, the electorate thinks otherwise. (I know you're being sarcastic, but it clearly is a waste of time for you to write it, and us to read it.)

3. chelloveck

As much a waste of time that some spend slamming AOC I would suppose....

I guess I am highlighting the fact that the times are changing, and good ol' conservative political tropes are not as effective in garnering support for GOP candidates as once might have been the case in the past. Martha McSally had the advantage of incumbency, brief though it was, and a military pedigree as a woman fighter pilot that ought to have given her a feminist edge, but it of itself wasn't enough to get her over the line.

People are less concerned about a person's sexuality and religious affiliation as much as it might have been the case in the past (evidenced by the fact that two Muslim candidates were elected to the US Congress in 2018). The GOP needs to rethink how it will engage with the electorate, and re-evaluate how its present form of social conservatism will fit in that changing political environment: else it may find its existence in the political wilderness somewhat more extended.

The Lesson That Republicans Will (Probably) Take From the 2018 Midterms

Here Are 9 Lessons From the 2018 Midterm Elections

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  4. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The herd needs to be thinned,drastically.

5. chelloveck

I think that had already happened in last year's mid-terms....else Kyrsten Sinema, wouldn't be occupying a US Senate seat and Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar wouldn't be occupying US Congress seats. ;) Far be it for me to spoil one's fantasies, but the GOP needs to lift its game...unfortunately it's stuck with a toxic albatross around its neck...perhaps if the GOP culled its herd of deadwood, it might have some prospect of a chance in 2020 when a whole swag of their Senate seats become vulnerable to electoral loss.

[​IMG]

Ganado likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

When the US goes tetons up, I'm coming stay with you Chell old buddy !

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. chelloveck

You'd be welcome, Gator.

You'd probably need to find yourself an Aussie woman (or man, if that's your thang...as SSM is legal here now. ;) ) to gain permanent residency...I'm becoming more and more knowledgeable with immigration law. (My son is married to a Mexican lass who came over to Australia to gain a Masters degree in Professional Accounting). You'll have to find your own women or other potential domestic relationship partner. We can go trawling the gun shops and sporting stores together for firearms and ammo, and I can hook you up with a range of gun and hunting clubs.

You'll probably find Australian politics pretty dull. There's not so much progressive vs conservative tribalism here as there is in the US, and wearing a MAGA (Make Australia Great Again) is sure to attract quizzical looks. (Australia never was great, and will probably never be great)

Be sure to spend some of your time with Andy the Aussie....I'm sure he would enjoy your company also.

Ganado, Tully Mars, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks Chell,You and Andy get this way I'm sure we can arrange a get together,No worries,Never developed a taste for the lads now the lassies Hmmm Saucy Bonn that!

Ganado, Tully Mars, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Be careful Chell . If the politics around here gets much more stupider , you're liable to have an influx of a whole bunch of wanderin' Monkeys to your AO . Just point me to the outback , I don't have much need for the city .

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  10. BenP

BenP Monkey++

...aaaand, nobody cares.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The oath of any politician is meaningless regardless of what they swear on. I would trust the oath of any serviceman to defend the Constitution who discharge honorably for more than Sinema or any of the others.

12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I would hope not but one day we might have to rely on our veterans to uphold our constitution,soon I would think.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am waiting for some millenial JackAss to use a SuperHero Comicbook, to be sworn in on... Makes about as much sense...

14. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

SEEMS The original intent of swearing in no longer matters...

Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  15. chelloveck

And your understanding of the original intent of swearing in is?

And in what way does the the present practice of swearing no longer matter?

Just grizzling and grumbling about it doesn't say anything about the matter except that you disapprove of it (whatever it is)

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

It's just sad that AZ has so many people from CA. Escaping to AZ and bringing their weird thinking and ways with them. Years ago Sinema never would have been elected.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well , in a Christian based society , which is what we used to have , swearing on the Bible was in a sense of giving your word that you could be trusted to do your job as described . That your word was as good as gold . Just like a handshake used to be as good as a signed contract . These days , very , very few people can be trusted at their word ,no matter what book they swear on , and a handshake is just another reason to spread germs .
    But , I believe you knew this already . I feel you were just using this post to post your own disdain for Jesus Christ and religion as a whole . But no worries mate , we expected as much from you .
    Just my opinion here .

Alf60, OldDude49, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

She should have sworn in with the Holy Bible. If you’re a non-believer you leave a tiny air gap between the book and your hand. Just in case.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and oldman11 like this.
  19. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Methinks, been wrong before, that the custom of hand on bible was instituted by Christian men in a secular environment. Most oaths of office usually ended with "So help me God". Now, if we are going totally secular, leaving that last phrase off, or making it optional, is OK with me. To my mind, and well may be to few others, taking an oath is a pledge of honor, and I don't give a small pellet of guinea pig turds what document or device goes under the left hand, that will not strengthen a person's word of honor. If you will stand in public and state that you will do this or that, and don't do it, you have collected some dishonor that will go with you to your grave.

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you don't believe in it why make it an issue .Does it matter ?
    I don't believe in the man in the moon , or flat earth.
    I do not make them issues because they do not effect me. but what people believe of me does.
    People especially in politics are not reliable , we are pressured to choose the lesser of the two evils ,never sure where the person stands.
    It is likely that one whom had based their life on the law, and not faith or religion, wants their oath to be relevant to that which they firmly believe in, and want this expression to by understood by those observing this oath..
    Others that base their life n the law will likely applaud this action, especially if the law is adhered to .
    I do not expect non Christians to perform as Christians, they simply cannot in the truest form of the word.
    So a person performing an oath on the bible that clearly does not believe in it is a fraud, of which we have many obviously .

3M-TA3, Ganado, OldDude49 and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7