Not swearing her oath of office on 'The Bible', how simply terrible!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chelloveck, Jan 3, 2019.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Who cares who some congress critter has sex with, lives, marries, etc as long as they are both consenting adults. You want to take your oath on some other book or no book at all that is fine. In the military we take our oaths without props besides the US flag and it out just fine.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

No bible or other book required. Just a US flag (can use the one on your uniform or one on an aircraft) and a commissioned officer to give it. You can even leave out the God part if you are so inclined. We don’t care.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2019
    Motomom34, Ganado, OldDude49 and 3 others like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, When I took my Oath of Office, it was in the Office of the USCG District Admiral's Office, administered by the Admiral, and No Book, or other Prop, was used... I didn't know that at the time, and brought my Family KJV Bible, just in case I needed it....

3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

chell so many have answered ya anything I could add is a moot point...

and as someone said... think you knew the answer all along... seems rather... disingenuous of you actually...

hows that go?

does this apply to you... haters gonna hate?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Others have given their own take on their own thoughts on the civic ritual of taking a (US Congress / US Senate) oath of office. If you want to dodge the questions asked of you in post #15, that's fine, but I was curious as what you meant by your remark in post #13; in that sense the others are not speaking for you..

Asking a rhetorical question is one way to start a discussion, and although I have my own feelings on the issue of civic oath taking ritual, it is interesting to discover what others here think on the subject also. The 2018 Midterm election has seen the election of an openly non religiously affiliated woman and two Muslim legislators....the US legislature is changing, and individual choices in being sworn in are changing from what once were the Judeo / Christian customary defaults of previous times. There is nothing disingenuous about opening up a discussion about that, and regardless of what SB21 may have inferred in his post (#17), thus far, I haven't referenced Jesus Christ in this thread at all, let alone expressing any disdain of him in particular. nor of religion in general.

The answer is no.....but some hypersensitive snowflakes here may feel that any critiquing of their beliefs is some kind of persecution. If one is firm in their 'faith' they need not fear engaging with a devil's advocate when discussing their beliefs.

Gator 45/70, oldawg and Ganado like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[sarc1]
    Please stop the [reddevil] remarks and calling each other out. Because the sherif. may come in and it is best [feedmods]
    and we don't wanna get the sheriff riled. :LOL:

I think if we leave out all the hype and media slant, the real question is...............
    Does it matter that she chose not to use the Bible? Does it matter to this country? Does it matter to you? Will it change your life or this country? Actually the question maybe will we allow her actions to personally change us? They say if you ignore and fail to react, then the action becomes a non-story and certain actions hoping for reactions, cease.

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Whoa, Wait a Second here Chell.... You have HyperSensitive SnowFlakes in Australia??? How can this be.... I always figure it was TO HOT in the downunder country for SnowFlakes to exist....

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

I hear you...

IMHO time will tell if it matters or not...

although when ya stop and think on it...

too many if not all politicians seem to consider giving an oath they make any real credence a pain in their backside...

so?

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  8. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

get the hint... I pretty much agree with what was said by others and see no reason to add more...

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The here I am referring to is the Survival Monkey membership....which is a transnational cyber-community....and yes, conservatives have their share of snowflakes.

But yes, Australia does have its share of conservative snowflakes also.....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Now the left hates Kristen sinema because she is not on board with the democrats multi trillion dollar drunken/high as giraffe balls spending spree.
    They thought because she's a she that also happens to enjoy licking carpet, she's one of us. Ah yes the left leaping to conclusions about what a personals values and beliefs are based solely on their sexual preferences.

mysterymet likes this.
  11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Like Dave Rubin. Libertarian guy who just happens to be gay. Hey some of us are more than our demographics! Vote your conscience not your gender, race, sexuality etc. I’d rather my congress critters look at issues individually instead of just toeing the party line.

Brokor and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7