Not the way I wanted to get more firearms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kckndrgn, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, I just inherited several rifles/shotguns. These were my fathers, until June 28th, when he lost his fight with lung cancer.

Here is a summary of what I brought home with me:
    1. A home build black powder muzzle loader (needs some work, he didn't clean it too well after his last time shooting)
    2. Spiegel Inc Model 128 12ga shotgun. It's a bolt action SG, but it's missing the magazine for it, and no luck in finding one, oh well, it looks like it's seen better days.
    3. J.C. Higgins Model 20 12 ga shotgun. Barrel and tube are rusted. This is a shocker, but it looks like it was put away wet, most of it is surface rust and came off when I cleaned it, but there was some pitting. Inside of the bore is smooth. I have 4 chokes for it.
    4. Winchester 67, .22 s,l,lr. Pretty good condition, a nice single shot .22 to go along with my mossberg 320TR single shot.
    5. Marlin 30-30. I remember using this gun on my first hunting trip, it was also the gun my dad used to take down a bear.
    6 Marlin 1894. This one was not given to me, but rather to my son. There is a little history to this gun, I have never shot it, neither has my dad, nor his dad. This gun was my great grandmothers hunting rifle that she used to put food on the table. This gun has been shot and abused. One screw is missing and in its place is a bent nail, used to hold the lever on the gun. There is also NO rifling left in the barrel. I'm thinking of having it relined in the same chamber it is in, a .25-20. I can still get brass and bullets so I can load my own rounds.

Well, that's all I came home with this trip. It will be hard going for my mother to go through all of his things, but she will eventually get it done. I should also be getting a .22lr revolver, and one more shotgun.
    Now I have the privilege to make an urn for my fathers ashes, this will be hardest and most rewarding woodworking project I have ever worked on.

Later Monkeys

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Sorry for your loss.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The time will come when warm memories will replace the sadness you feel today. Those memories and the stories you will share with others will keep your dad with you always. I am truly sorry for your loss.

4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I am sorry for your loss. Aside from the physical remembrances, you will always have your memories. I hope you and him had many hours of shooting those guns together.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

kckndrgn sorry for your loss of your Father

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

May each day be blessed with memories that make you smile and remind you of who you are.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

May God bless you and your family, and ease you through the grief of your loss.

8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks all for the kind words.

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Sorry to hear about your loss....

That 94 Winchester would be a sweet small game rifle. 25-20 is a cool little round you just don't see much anymore.

If you've got the money and you want the rifle restored to 100% complete original, Turnbull Restorations is the best in the business, I believe. He specializes in old Winchesters and Colts.

10. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Cancer took my father at the age of 57, in 1997.

I firmly believe that there is far to much money to be made in the medical trade when it comes to Cancer. The medical profession should be put on trial for having failed to find a cure for Cancer and remove it from our society forever.

Tony

11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I'd seriously consider keeping the 1894 as-is. Seems there's a lot of history in it, and its value as a conversation piece may outweigh its value restored.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7