Now I'm SURE something is wrong!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bnmb, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I don't know about the doomsday vault, but if it is on CBS, it's possibly the worst kept secret ever. I wouldn't read into the books in the salt mine:

"Works from Manchester Central Library's reference section will be kept at Winsford salt mine in Cheshire for three years while the building undergoes an extensive refurbishment."

JMHO. If we read too much into anything I could probably come to the conclusion that the world will end tomorrow. I am, however, 99% certain it will be here tomorrow. So far, I haven't been wrong :)

2. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I don't think they could keep doomsday vault a secret, however, isn't it extremely weird to keep rare and unique books in highly corrosive and destructive environment like salt mine??? And in depth of 150 meters? Like they couldn't put it in some above ground warehouse? Or multiple warehouses?...

3. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Nah. They've always been used for long term storage. Though the walls and ceiling are made of pure salt, they're quite dry.
    Back about 20 years ago, I worked for a company that stored it's IT data with a company called Iron Mountain. I think they're still around. They took backup tapes weekly to their storage facility. Those were all old salt mines.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7