Now not even gold is safe....

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by scrapman21009, Sep 6, 2012.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Greed will always bite you in the butt .

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got a better one.
    The fbi seized around 10 million dollars worth of confederate gold earlier this year.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Civil War era does not necessarily equate with Confederate...even if it allegedly started its voyage from Wheeling, WV.

Either way, if they removed it (or anything else) they exceeded their jurisdictional limits...and that does equate with theft.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

So, this begs a different question. Is there a statute of limitations on theft or only on prosecution? Not trying to justify it, mostly just curious. I know that restitution/return is a sticky subject and if the jackboots come kicking in the door, their not going to be interested in discussing any statute of limitations.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

If President Theodore Roosevelt could take your Gold in 1933 He can do it again today

Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Actually it was Franklin Roosevelt not Teddy

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

8. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The next thing the gov will be wanting is your ammo,think about it. If they can get away with getting your gold the gov can get anything you own.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Article is wrong (got to love it) Teddy was president at the turn of the century-ish, then Woodrow Wilson for WWI, Harding/Cooledge, then Hoover and FDR in 1932. Teddy died in 1919 so I kinda don't think it was him.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and 3cyl like this.
  10. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

He didn't take the gold, he asked people to turn it in for paper.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Not quite an "ask".......

[​IMG]

Tully Mars, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Problem with Executive Orders issued by the President is they ONLY effect People, and Offices, of the Executive Banch of Government... Not Citizens in general....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Let's just say that not all gold was turned in. One Democrat that I knew well managed to hang onto some.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  14. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Actually, a lot of gold coin was moved offshore. I think the purpose wasn't so much to bring in gold as it was to separate gold from the concept of being money, which as you know today was wildly successful......not one person in a thousand can tell you what money is, and isn't.

True. But people were a lot more willing to go along with the govt then.

The Gold Reserve Act followed up this EO in 1934, making law that did apply to everyone, no more gold coin. It also raised the price of gold from $20.67 to $35/oz......basically a huge devaluation in the US dollar.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
  15. DarkLight

While I get your point...no, no he can't. He's not president...or even still alive.

Sorry, I'll go back to my corner now.

Actually no I won't. I've kinda held off on this thread but the title is misleading. "Now not even gold is safe..." implies that it was ever safe, and the above proves it wasn't then, isn't now and won't be in the future. If they want it, they'll come and get it.

16. DarkLight

The bigger problem with EOs is that people don't know this, and the "enforcers" KNOW they don't know it, and will be backed by those pushing the EO when they cross the line.

Right, wrong or indifferent, if they want it, they'll come get it and while you may make getting it painful, you will lose.

Ganado, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

He was not president...or even still alive in 1933 when the linked article claimed he took the gold

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Methinks this concept of money is grossly misused. Gold is NOT money, never really was. It was a medium of exchange that could as well have been river stones that everyone agreed would serve in place of exchanging goods. Bear in mind that those stones could, as "dollars" (and gold) do, vary in value with supply and demand.

To extend the stone analogy, consider that I might borrow a few stones from you to buy my seed corn for next year, and I promise to pay back your stones plus a couple extra to compensate you since while I was using them, you couldn't. Hm, sounds like interest to me. Consider where that new medium comes from --- (AOC (Lexy Occasionally Conscious) says dot gov will provide. Sorry folks, LMAO.)

Call 'em frns, MOE (medium of exchange) or BOW (bushels of wheat.) Just don't call 'em money.

Ganado likes this.
  19. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

Or bit coin

Ganado likes this.
  20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

As @TnAndy noted, there's more to this story than just some gold Double Eagles.

1933 double eagle - Wikipedia

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7