Nsa Whistleblower: Blanket Surveillance On Everyone

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by CATO, Jul 25, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

http://rt.com/usa/news/nsa-whistleblower-binney-drake-978/

I guess one could say: "Well, they didn't know what Holmes was up to." But, you could also say, "Yes they did, since he was heavily sedated while the rigged his apt."

tulianr

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Everything we type online or say on a telephone line has been captured for analyzing of key words. Once key words are detected then a human is assigned to review in more detail. That is how we have done it for a long time. A few Monkey's have done this exact task of analyzing traffic and recordings for threats or intel.

The dire threat now is that everything is being stored and compiled for essentially a profile to be created for every U.S. citizen. What does your profile say and how will/can it be used against you. Food for thought for sure!![siren] And where do you rank on the threat list in some little poorly light office at NSA or the boy's at foggy bottom?

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Well I guess I'm on some list somewhere. Military background in combat arms, been deployed to durka durka ville, came back home, have more than seven days worth of food for myself, have multiple edged weapons within reach, own more than a single shot pistol and have more than two rounds of ammo. Yep, I'm on a list already.

4. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Sadly, none of this is really new. What has changed is the scope of NSA surveillance, due to the increased amount of communication using technological devices, and the ease of such surveillance, facilitated by greater computer capacity and capability.

Project SHAMROCK, started in August 1945, involved the accumulation of all telegraphic data entering into or exiting from the United States. The Armed Forces Security Agency (AFSA) and its successor, NSA, were given direct access to daily microfilm copies of all incoming, outgoing, and transiting telegraphs via the Western Union and its associates RCA and ITT.

The dissemination portion of this undertaking, Project MINARET, was responsible for passing communications of people of interest, who were on watch lists, to other government law enforcement and intelligence organizations.

There was no judicial oversight, and the project had no warrants for interception. A humorous side note is that the President of the United States, Richard Nixon (and other Quakers), was on one of these watch lists; as was Abbie Hoffman, Jane Fonda, Joan Baez, Dr. Spock, the Reverend Ralph Abernathy, and Martin Luther King, during the same time period.

At the height of Project SHAMROCK, 150,000 messages a month were printed and analyzed by NSA personnel.

In 1975, Congressional critics began to investigate and expose the program. After the congressional hearings on Program SHAMROCK, Senate Intelligence Committee chairman Frank Church concluded that Project SHAMROCK was "probably the largest government interception program affecting Americans ever undertaken."

Senator Church said later:
    “The National Security Agency's capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything: telephone conversations, telegrams, it doesn’t matter. There would be no place to hide. If a dictator ever took over [the United States], the N.S.A. could enable [that government] to impose total tyranny, and there would be no way to fight back.“

Because the NSA has no charter, as does the CIA, establishing its purview and limitations (NSA was established via a Presidential Memorandum), and because NSA is owned by the Department of Defense, rather than being a direct arm of the Executive branch, the possibility for abuse will always be a little greater at NSA than at some of our other intelligence collection agencies. There are a lot of cracks through which things can conveniently slip.

BTPost, Yard Dart and Guit_fishN like this.
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Well now they can just compile ALL the lists I'm on into one handy folder.I like that. Wouldn't want the little darlings to have to work too hard now would I?

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

:
    Maybe they could reduce the size of the government by just assigning a computer to monitor me.

7. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Eh....I always liked the idea of my government labeling me a "domestic terrorist". It means they are afraid of it's population and that is how governments should be.

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

...makes me wonder: To be a terrorist, don't you have to do terrifying things? There's an active component to that name...or, I say you shouldn't use it.

For example: I have hiking gear and I go walking in the woods. I am a hiker. If I had the gear, but never used it, how can I be a hiker?

So, I have a lot of ammo* and weapons, but, I don't USE them in the way a terrorist might--mine are for defensive purposes, a terrorists' are offensive, thus, just having a bunch of stuff may make you a hoarder, but not a terrorist. You must engage in the activities that define the word to ... be the word.

So, apply the label...but the proof will be in one's actions.

* Sadly, ammo was lost in a recent storm. Accepting donations to rebuild. :D

sgt peppersass, oldawg and TwoCrows like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

G-F I think I still have two rounds of 32-20 that didn't go down with my last boat if it will help.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  10. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

" To be a terrorist, don't you have to do terrifying things?"
    You betcha!
    Living a productive independent lifestyle TERRIFIES the Government. They need you to NEED them.
    If you can provide for yourself and your family then you dont need anything the Government has to offer and they cant control your life.

11. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

i like the hiker analogy lol

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7