OC (Pepper) Spray Treatment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devildog3531, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Devildog3531

Devildog3531 Monkey+++

So I get OC'd tomorrow at 9am EST for my police academy training. What's better? Baby Shampoo or 75% water/25% dawn? Anything you guys would recommend?

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

May try tomato juice. I know it sounds odd but when I make taco sauce I roast then sautee hot peppers. While not nearly as concentrated it dose release the same chemicals used in OC andits alkaline and the acid in tomato juice helps to neutralize it. Im working on financing now for my trip to the academy and I know that and being tazed are a couple of the things Im NOT exactly looking forward to but oh well.

Good luck and let me know what works best.

3. Jayde

Jayde Monkey++

Just don't inhale! [gasmask] I wasn't directly sprayed, but I was in a small enclosed room when someone's personal cannister was set off - cough cough hack hack wheeze wheeze. Had to vacate the premises real quick like[gone] Took half an hour until my eyes stopped burning and I finally stopped coughing...

4. Devildog3531

Devildog3531 Monkey+++

The financing part was a pain, lol. However, the ends justifies the means, I'm living on a TIGHT budget right now. FL law enforcement makes between 35 and 44k a year starting (depending on the agency) and all agencies have overtime and details out the yin yang. The average detail makes you 30$ and hour; ie: standing around in a movie theatre and pretty much just having that "police presence."

From what I hear tazing is worse as far as pain goes, but it only lasts as long as the charge itself, when they're done you're fine. I hear you don't even feel the barbed pin get yanked out of you. The OC can last an hour or even all day. Its effects vary. The darker your skin and eye color, the better off you are for some reason. My luck being that I'm half Irish and got the pale skin and light blue eyes.

I'm currently on my 5th year in the Marine Reserves so I have experienced CS a number of times; I imagine OC just feels like a concentrated CS gas.

I'll grab some produce on my way out the door:) I'll let you all know how it went.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We got a taste of tear gas in boot camp. I don't know if there is a significant difference between tear gas and OC, but I can say without fear of contradiction that fresh air is the only antidote that is worth a hoot. After the exposure, we got crammed into warm classrooms, and the gas kept coming out of the blues for hours afterward. The only relief we got was between classes when we formed up outside. The blues got an overnight airing out that really didn't get rid of it, but reduced it to tolerable levels. A regular shower did the trick on the ol' carcass.

6. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

biggest thing is dont scrub or touch the area that makes it alot worse, just keep rinsing with fresh cold water and about 30min or so you should be good to go. remember not always will you have fancy stuff to put on your eyes and the point is to be able to react and function while being exposed to this stuff. Not sure if they make you shoot or draw your weapon after being sprayed?

7. toemag

toemag Monkey++

8. Devildog3531

Devildog3531 Monkey+++

Sitting here with my eyes still singing.

We got HOSED down; they made us recite some information about ourselves. From there we had to walk about 50ft while retaining our weapons as two instructors tried to get them. We had to attack a speed bag hand to hang, walk and retain weapons some more then baton the second speed bag. From there we had to walk even further and arrest someone, then radio for assistance.

It was not as bad as I thought it would be but still pretty crappy. I would say about 20x the power of cs gas. Just imagine burning the tablet right between your eyes.

Did the baby shampoo method. The skin burning is gone, I;ve burped up all the air I swallowed trying to compensate for the lack of air that I thought I had.

I recommend for anyone who gets sprayed to alternate water rinses with a good strong fan. I'm now dreading my shower and reactivation of the chemical. It was overall a fun yet unplesant experience.

9. andy

andy Monkey+++

good for you congradulations...

you get use to it we do it twice a year it sucks

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, if the woman in the financial aid department I spoke with today knows what she is talking about then it looks like it wont be an issue for me anyway. Apparently going through the academy to get your certifications to be a LEO isnt a 'real' degree, for that would have to go for a criminal justice coarse and MAYBE be able to do the academy as a side note or after thought. Since it isnt recognized as a degree program then it wont qualify for financial aid and without that theres no way I can afford the academy let alone the 4 months of no income on top of it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7