Occupation Thread ( what do you do)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Time for this one I guess!
    Im a Wind Turbine Service Technician

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Small Business Services - everything but the windows (MS or otherwise)

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Dinosaur hunter.
    Oil that is, Black gold, Texas tea.
    I work for the largest Oilwell Workover Contractor in the world.We service existing wells and keep the oil flowing.I have been in the Drilling end for half my career.Been in the service end for the last half.Work mostly in the Middle East.
    I am currently in Egypt.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Minuteman, I build homes.... I know you posted a whole lot of 'peak oil' info on another site but it would be a good addition here too :)

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Yeah I found something I knew enough about to comment on.That's dangerous.
    If there's interest I'll keep up the topic over here.
    Just build houses? I did that for awhile when I was young.Hard work.Log homes right?I'd like to see some pics.That's what I'm working towards.Some nice mountain land in SE Okla. or Ark and a nice log home on a hill.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks Melbo. I built my first computer in the early 80's - nothing fancy, 8" FDD, a used power supply, a T80 controller. Not much better than an abacus by todays standards but at the time I had the only one around.

Open source is the doorway to new systems and technology instead of just the good marketing and partnering that made MS the standard. It's my belief that MS has stunted the growth of technology.

I'm always open to questions and discussions of EDP.

7. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm a Secretary. Done a lot of different things over my lifetime, from making waterbeds (I kid you not people actually let me around those kind of tools), to handling $100,000+ a day (which I hated because then I truly worked 10-12 hr days), but I'm back to just being a plain secretary.

I prefer it most days (except when the psych ward patients all end up in my office).
    [peep]

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I deal with people that need to be in a pysch ward.

I work for the Gov. Like BRONZ, they are always watching..................

9. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

E.L., I too work for the government. Come on down to your local VA. Medical Center. Watch the ER department call the Fire Department because they are too damn lazy to go out and get someone out of their car even though they have a chair lift. Only one person even tried and they chewed her out.

There are days I truly hate the place I work when I see nurses and doctors say nope they're outside the hospital so call 911 it's not our job.

And yes you're right the government just loves acronyms.

Can you tell I've not had a very good day today?

10. E.L.

It never fails to amaze me that the Gov. doesn't fund the VA like they should. Those guys and gals put it all on the line for us, and we SHOULD be taking care of them. It seems like non of the politicans want to talk about either. Instead of funding the VA, manning the borders, paying our teachers and LE, the politicians are too busy fighting for pork for worthless things like the Endowment of the Arts. What a load! It makes me madder every time I vote. CUT OUT THE PORK! Fund the stuff that is important.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

OK, then, add a mechanical engineer to the roster. I'm a PE, have done designs for water plants, waste water treatment plants, motels, blood banks, military installations, industrial systems, and built some of all the above plus some power plants. Currently in construction management on what will be my sunset tour.

For fun, I mess with this and another forum, and shoot trap on the weekends. As soon as I can find a suitable place, I'll be back with bullet ejecting devices with rifling in them And, let us not forget ramming cool air up my sleeves on the bike whenever possible.

I figure to learn some things here that will stand me in good stead when I get back to the woods for fishing or escaping the smurfs or other hordes when things get tight.

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tree trimmer currently and generaly but also at times, movie star, author, black smith (traditional coal forge), delivery driver, bouncer, body guard, chef, business owner, home health attendant. All this and more by 30....

13. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Information Systems Computer Tech at a medical facility here. But I have done a lot of other things before that.

14. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

jack of all trades, master of none :tinfoil:

15. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Tracy, I'm not being a spelling Nazi- OK maybe I am- were you administration or administraCtion.

16. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Retired piano player from the Cat House network . b::

17. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey..................... I remember you.

In no particular order, lifeguard, bartender, janitor, trim carpenter, bench sander, photo assistant, stain glass window maker, WFR, EMT-B, ER Tech, and soon to be RN.

As for what I do? Not much of anything if I can help it.

Phishi

18. E.L.

I think that is even a better idea.

Let's see from the start,

ranchhand/tractor driver/haybaler, welder/sandblaster/painter, convenient store cashier, meat cutter, cryogenic leak detector, liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen delivery, truckdriver, oil field trash (worked on a pulling unit) medical tech. (the last 8 jobs while being a full time student), USDA Inspector, grocery store manager, bail enforcement officer (while being an Inspector, until my wife decided that my about to be newborn daughter needed an alive father), relief food inspector, then finally USDA Consumer Safety Inspector/Inspector-In-Charge. I wonder if I am done yet? (NOPE), heavy equipment operator, real estate, Rancher.

19. Halffast

Halffast Wannabe Hack Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am a sales forecaster and production scheduler for one of the only domestic shoe manufacturers left in the US.

I also teach Karate part-time.

When I grow up, I want to be a writer!

David

20. E.L.

Aha! The origin of "The Karate Man!"

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7