Off Grid Clothes washing

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by permacamo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Was referring to the pail and plunger device. Saw a pedal powered one somewhere and looked like a workable solution to off grid.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Linked just above, in my post.(read the comment below it)

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yeah, that one is much more compact than the one I saw. Links no longer show up in different font or color for me.

4. kellory

They were playing with the forum last night with the forum and @Brokor may have a loose thread to tie up here and there. ;)

oldawg likes this.
  5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Kinda wished I had a trailer and the wife was glad I didnt when I was on vacation and ran across interesting items at yard sale... Such as an old wringer washer... Another man's junk....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    chelloveck and kellory like this.
  6. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

youtube, Dave Cantebury has a good vid about using wood ashes and a bucket to clean your clothes. He's learned a ton of stuff from his assistant instructors and he teaches well.

Brokor likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One of the Coolest things I have seen, for Off-Grid clothes washing, was an Old Wringer MayTag, with a Briggs Gas Engine connected via Belt Drive.... Worked like a champ, and was easy on the Gas....

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Just a little caveat - You guys all know about the solid bars of laundry soap, often seen in dollar stores and are sold in a variety of other stores? I stock up on those because they are very compact and can be shelf stable (vacuum sealed for more than 10 years). Another cool thing, is shaving the bars down into shreds and popping it into a jug of hot water and turning it into concentrated laundry soap. I've been doing this for a long time, it works great. You could keep it on the bar in solid form and hand wash, too.

soap1.JPG soap2.JPG soap_grater.JPG
    Some people even use a naptha grater to make the process quicker.
    You can store up your shaved soap in plastic bags or containers, or shave it as you need it.

arleigh, Dont, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I guess this beats mom sending us into the lake with a bar of soap. Into lake clothed, come out naked carrying about 10 pounds of wet clothes to hang on the line.

3cyl likes this.
  10. kellory

Hardest part was getting out if the laundry bag......:rolleyes:

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a Note, here..... The original MayTag Washing Machines, sold to Farmers, and Mountain Folks, before Rural Electrification, were Gasoline Powered. The Engines has a type of Kick Starter System, that even a 90# GrandMa, could start with her Foot....

12. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

This is a picture of a laundry spot down in Mexico, also have seen women bathing there. The picture was taken from a bridge across the stream, first time I crossed it with my wife she told me the women were bathing there and it was natural for me to look at their cheches I said maby so but is not correct, she responded "some is big" made me laugh. IMG-20140720-WA0000.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have the maytag engine I just wish I had the washing machine to go with it.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There are any number of DYI washing machine projects on line that might work well with your maytag engine. Worth a looksee, too many to list here.

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Bump !!! some info from Mother Earth News Magazine Off-Grid Laundry Easy with Hand-Crank Wringer SLCS eNews 8.10.16&utm_term=MEN_SLCS_eNews&_wcsid=8F491D754C634A28F32912F490FA4113696548644412C47B
    BTW this article has a whole slew of downloadable old books on the subject for your digital library. ENJOY

Ganado likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. martha_mill
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Motomom34
  10. SurvivalJester
  11. Dunerunner
  12. aardbewoner
  13. Motomom34
  14. Asia-Off-Grid