Off grid electricity options

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by kelsey_rodgers.com, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Hi! I'm new here so I apologize if this has been asked before. Alright, so, I plan on building me a tiny house on wheels soon, and I've been doing a lot of research and it seems most people in tiny homes don't use a lot of electronics so power isn't much of an issue for them. However, me and my boyfriend are avid gamers and often we are both playing on either computer or consoles at the same time. Therefore we use quite a bit of electricity. I plan on making my house to have power hookups like an RV for if I ever have the chance for that but know that won't be an option most of the time. I'm wondering what would be the best off grid option for me to use. I live in Florida so I feel solar power would be a good option? But I'm pretty much new to all this stuff so was hoping y'all could help me come up with a solution, haha. Thanks for any and all help.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

First off, welcome to the Monkey!!

At the top right you will see a search box that you can use for keywords. The Monkey has a lot of information including what you are asking about. Investigate all the knowledge you can find here, ask questions and enjoy!! I have attached just one thread related to off-grid power for an example.
    Off Grid Power | Survival Monkey Forums

KAS likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

As YD said, Search is your friend and Welcome to the monkey!! You could check out some of the RV supply stores like Camping World and then think about a large battery array that charges off of the power plant you intend to move this home built with in conjunction with the solar.

Enjoy the site!!

4. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

The problem with gaming PCs off grid is that they generally use a lot of power.
    If you have 2 rigs with dual vid cards, dual monitors and big power supplies...you're going to need a very big bank of batteries and seriously expensive panels. Do you plan on parking under cell towers for internet access or something?

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Tiny house , with no roof area , where are the solar panels living . FL has big wind & long leggs that make them panels attractive.
    Plus you might need to make sure folks don't steal the house & leave the bathwater/ ;)

6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Have a small R/V and plan to put as many solar panels as possible on top on a raisable bracket. That and a very small genset will keep us in plenty of power. Have larger gensets but need a light weight one.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Lightest, smallest, best, in my opinion, are the Honda 1000, and 2000. They are one hand portable. The 3000, are quite a bit heavier, but good generators.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7