Off Grid experience

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by WendyM, Dec 17, 2016.

1. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

In regards to the Amish....

Most Amish folk are not going to just up and invite you to stay with them...or even participate with them socially. I live in Amish country and don't get me wrong, they are great people and would give you the shirts off their backs if you needed help...but they are not real open and trusting of strangers...especially us "English". That's not to say that it can't be done, but it would take time and interaction.

If you decide you want to take the time, my wife and I would consider letting you stay with us with the goal of getting to know our Amish neighbors (a lot of square miles in that statement) and hopefully wrangling a gig with one of them. Some of my immediate neighbors have been here for 50+ years and know everybody...and could probably facilitate some introduction and interaction opportunities. At the same time you might learn something from and help out with our own attempts to become less dependent on the grid. This place we have is a lot of work for just my wife and I...our kids are all grown, gone, and have enough on their plates just taking care of themselves, so lord knows having someone to help out a little for room and board would be a good thing. If interested we can talk details in another conversation.

FYI, I reload pistol, rifle and shotgun. :D

If it's not what you are looking for...that's cool too...then I can revert to my horn-dawg online persona and flirt! ;)

Motomom34, chelloveck and WendyM like this.
  2. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Sigh.... oh well... oh and welcome... :):):)

chelloveck and WendyM like this.
  3. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

I would have gone with the amish idea myself but don't they tend to have strict religious views?

4. WendyM

WendyM Monkey

I think Chimo has a good handle on this.

GhostX likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

They do, but are not going to proselytize. Very strict, but they won't insist that you follow their lead. Fact is, they will not be too likely to invite you to their services until or unless they've known you for an eternity if even then. What I'm sure Chimo knows is that there is a range of "strictness" in the various Amish and Mennonite communities.

chelloveck, GhostX and WendyM like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As I recall it, that is set by the Body of Elders, in each Community...

Cruisin Sloth and GhostX like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, They will follow precedents laid down by earlier elders, OR they will leave and join another congregation if allowed.

chelloveck and GhostX like this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Don't Blush about being a pilot... we all have our issues fortunately I can help on that problem... you see I am a Navigator... I'm used to telling pilots where to go and how to get there....;)

[usaf]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. WendyM

WendyM Monkey

Haha! Thanks Witch Doctor! If I get lost I'll be in touch!

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

WD's been tell'en Folks "Where to Go" for a very LONG Time....[lolol]

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Unfortunately they don't listen very well... must be a short between the headset...:whistle:

BTPost likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Hi,
    Just reading the mail.

13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You betcha. Mennonites are pretty accepting for the most part, on the other extreme there are some Amish who won't even give you the opportunity to get to know them or interact with them at all. That's why I figured her best bet on that tact would be to spend some time becoming a part of the community and letting other members of the community who have been around a while and are well respected help her open the doors that can be opened.

arleigh and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7