Off grid in Scotland

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by factorfate, Oct 6, 2020.

1. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Hi all.
    I'm in Scotland,UK.
    Have a building in the remote Highlands which is now mostly off grid. But I'm having trouble working out the last part, the inverter. Seems a minefield. The building isn't using too much electric. Been looking at pure sign wave inverters but I just don't know what to get anymore, there is almost too much choice, but that the same time so much doen't fit the bill.
    I just wondered if anyone knows where I should look? I've been going round in circles for a few months now.
    Anyway, it's all part of our plan to dissconnect and go our own way.
    Cheers
    Justin

2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Ah, yer just over the hill from me :)
    “Waves from Aberdeen”

Tully Mars, Ganado and HK_User like this.
  3. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Hiya, yes just over the otherside, we're west coast. Is Aberdeen still locked down?

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  4. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

Cant help you with that, but do remember that if you have a system that deliver back to the grid you get NO power if the grid is down !So make sure you can switch to stand alone service. Your system will deliver no power if the voltage is to high to, guess to low to not sure of that.

HK_User likes this.
  5. BenP

BenP Monkey++

This is our off grid setup for a 1600 square foot house with a 4 person family:

Solar Panels 2600W (bought a pallet on eBay for 50 cents per watt, free shipping.)
    Schneider Electric Conext XW MPPT 60 Amp Charge Controller (x2) ($500)
    Schneider Electric Conext SW 4024 3,400 Watts, 24VDC Inverter 120/240 VAC ($1400)
    Schneider Electric Conext XW+/SW System Control Panel (SCP) ($250)
    LiFePO4 Prismatic Batteries 24V, 300Ah ($4000) -- I believe these have come down in price since we bought them.

We have a heat pump water heater, heat pump clothes dryer, small 9000btu air conditioner and a wood stove for heat.

Tully Mars, ditch witch and HK_User like this.
  6. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

That sounds like a good system. Am thinking 24v is the best way to go.
    A lot of the trouble here is delivery to such a remote place.
    We are investing in a wood stove, currently electric heating costs too much to run.
    That gives me an idea though, thanks.

HK_User likes this.
  7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Welcome aboard @factorfate Wander around in the off grid living forums, we've a few folks that KNOW solar on and off grid that can get you pointed in the right direction.

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  8. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Thank you. We are totally commited to getting of grid completely.

HK_User likes this.
  9. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Nope, some restrictions still in place I think but dosent effect us. (Upside of being antisocial weirdoes LOL)

no help with inverters but have you looked into the esse stove/cookers? They have ones that burn wood (I think rayburn also does one) and you can run all your hot water & heating off it alongside cooking. Which is going to cut down significantly on you electric requirements...

HK_User, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  10. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Yeah, we don't go out anyway, and there is nowhere to go around here.
    I have looked into stove/cookers, but it is quite hard to source them for delivery here.
    Definiately on the radar. Our building is listed, which is annoying, so chimneys are tricky, but I've been looking at ways to make it work.
    A lot of people around here have wood stoves.

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Welcome to the monkey @factorfate. Just reading about Scotland yesterday, a sonar may have found Nessie.

@techsar @Cruisin Sloth maybe you two can help with factorfate's inverter issue.

HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

HK_User likes this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Welcome!

HK_User likes this.
  14. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Welcome
    [flag]

HK_User likes this.
  15. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Were lucky that our house isent listed but at 300+ years old & in a conservation area, that comes with its own issues....:eek:
    (Funnily most of the “issues” are with the 70 year old exstention. )

depending on what your setups like, might want to take a look at the Esse Ironheart or bakeheart. Not as big/heavy as the big Aga type cookers but look like they would be really good for smaller offgrid setups.

Ganado and HK_User like this.
  16. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Ours is only 180 years old.

The stoves look quite good. We were looking at a smokeless type before.

HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  17. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

You really going to have to look at how much power you use and be realistic about how powerful of a solar/battery setup you need.
    I would recommend investing in lifepo4 batteries for their much longer life and how much they can be drawn down without damaging them. If it's windy where you live consider adding wind power. spend the money for decent equipment or it will let you down and drive you crazy, or crazier depending on you. I learned a lot from this book. Mobile solar power, by William Earl Prowse. This young man knows his stuff. It's on Amazon.

HK_User, Cruisin Sloth and BenP like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Motomom34 ,, i did read and waited to see more info.. Sloth

First Off Welcome to the tree .

Sloth

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  19. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Theres wood, coal and peat available here, (we dont have central heating in ours so have a multi fuel stove and use all 3) if hes in the right area/s he could possibly dig his own peat to...
    Wind... um yes... Scotland has wind.....:LOL:

SB21 likes this.
  20. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Yes. Heat is our biggest waste of electric at the moment. We have a calorgas heater also.
    I'll have a look for a stove.
    Without the heating our electric isn't that demaning.

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7