Off grid in Scotland

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by factorfate, Oct 6, 2020.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Insulation is a major factor, we have 2 inchs of steel reinforced concrete for our exterior and 7 inches of polystyrene on the interior, about 60% and up to 12 inches in some other interior areas.

Exterior coating over the concrete is a white elastormeic coating. Eaves over all windows/entries is 18 inches or more.

This combination plus home placement to the position of compas provides the needed enhancement for heat and cold.

Works out pretty good for we average $110 per month. That includes the well used for cattle and home and yard light.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  2. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

That sounds very good. My problem is that we are in a listed building. The walls are 30 inch thick stone. We have been looking at "pod" inside the building that would be heavily insulted, but right now a lot of heat goes straight out the roof.

HK_User likes this.
  3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

For those of you in the US etc.., “listed building“ basically means its a historical building that your not allowed to Do bugger all to without enough paperwork to choke an elephant to get permissions (which cost a tidy sum & you might not get no mater what) plus more paperwork with pencil pushing tigharses On a power trip deciding wether you can change the colour of the window frames etc....

Ganado, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  4. HK_User

I am familiar with such regs but in our/my case of point and time it was "listed" buildings in San Francisco water front and it was for safety due to earth quakes. Steel and fiberglass was used to strengthen the walls so insulation was not a issue.

If legal, a spray on closed cell foam can be simulated to look like any stone you desire or the facade of a insulated rock like concrete from aluminum forms and colored with various types of sand to simulate stone of the area.

It just depends on how serious the Local Officials are about power savings over interior appearances.

Gunite can be used over polystyrene open cell foam as the bond is chemical in nature and a 2 to 1 ratio of sand to concrete can be tailored to be as the original appearance.

5. HK_User

6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

BBCA shows re-runs of Escape to the Country and my Mother loves it...even got me to watching too. I still got to laugh when prospective home buyers say that they would like a bit of land...maybe an acre or two and the host asks, "That much! Whatever for?". On this side of the pond we call an acre the front yard. Also, another thing that gets me is ALL of the restrictions and having to seek Council approval for every little thing. I mean I'm all for protecting historic structures, safety, and sanitation, but that just shows how far apart we cousins have drifted. Some places here have what I would consider over-reaching laws and restrictions but NOT here! That being said we have to be mindful of the local officials getting too big for their britches.
    So yes I understand having a listed building can be a challenge, but 30 inch stone walls...what is this place? A castle?

STANGF150 and HK_User like this.
  7. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

A chruch. We are thinking of applying to have it un-listed

HK_User likes this.
  8. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

A lot of the old houses are built from granite.
    Ours is a 300year old (ish) fisherman's terrace cottage and the walls are about that...

Ganado and HK_User like this.
  9. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Yeah, traditional buildings in the Highlands are pretty much built to a similar design. No cavity wall, just great blocks of stone to keep the draft out!

10. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

With plenty of natural fresh air vents :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Yes. Actially this building had 8 built in air vents. Always puzzled me that. Great heavy walls with 8 holes for the wind.

12. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Yeah, I dont think ours are planned LOL.

13. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

:eek:

HK_User likes this.
  14. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Drafty sometimes but on the plus side its never stuffy :D

15. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

In case of a total power outage, I've considered a building within a building using a tent. I'm not sure if my logic is correct on this though. I have sleeping bags and blankets to back this up.
    Wood burning stoves are a good idea.

HK_User likes this.
  16. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

When we first came here we had tents inside.

HK_User likes this.
  17. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

HK_User likes this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That is one of my preps. Camping equipment (tents, air mattresses, sleeping bags, etc.) to make indoor areas more comfortable and you can heat a tent with a candle lantern. Plus the equipment can be used outdoors too. If you don't have a tent just hang some blankets, quilts, or a tarp over some furniture to create a" blanket fort". The camping equipment can also be useful if you have to leave your home and evacuate because of storms, fire, unrest, etc..

HK_User and factorfate like this.
  19. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You can do that?

HK_User likes this.
  20. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

One can apply. It's not common they accept.

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7