Off grid in Scotland

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by factorfate, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Most likely to let combustion air in and smoke out. But still ---

2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

All the better to keep out the English! Not to mention the neighboring clansmen!:LOL:

3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

I think this is the right one
    (Saw a long time ago, ) might give some ideas as they are working with a grade b listed church...

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I got to ask...y'all live in a church...got any graves?

HK_User likes this.
  5. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Yes. It's in an active graveyard.

6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The reason that I ask is because my 10 acres use to be part of an antebellum cotton plantation, and for the last 100 years my family has been the "caretakers" of a black cemetery, now inactive. The cemetery is about one acre in size, and contains the graves of slaves, freed slaves and people that died 100 years after slavery ended. I recall seeing the last burial back in the 1960s. By then it was full, my Father said that they had to dig 3 or 4 holes in order to find one that wasn't occupied. There are only 2 graves that have carved tombstones, but I recall that there were a great many temporary markers that are long gone. If you study the lay of the land and know what you are looking for, you can identify the site of the plantation house on a hill, the slave cemetery and the slave quarters. Plus I have the abstract/deed that traces the ownership of the land back to the early 1800s, that describes the land boundaries and some of the structures.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Wildbilly
    Based on a semi recent case, I'd be getting an accurate survey of the property. There may be some surprises hiding in the abstract, specifically mislocated site features. Also may add some details that the local history has forgotten. Historical society might want to help with the costs.

8. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

We don't manage our graveyard. It's all run by the council. Also, no graves older than the 180 year old church.

9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Any internment within the Church walls?

10. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

No. There's nothing like that.

11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

While I'm not "sure" of where the big house was, that hill is the logical location as it is near to the main road, prime building site for a stately home and offered a view of the entire plantation. I have never looked for foundation stones or bricks nor heard of any being found, also that site is on adjacent pieces of land that has 5 houses built on it.
    The location of the cemetery has always been fixed in a grove of oak trees surrounded by farmland. Two massive oaks have stood there for nearly 200 years, until one of them went down in a tornado 15 years ago. The former slave quarters is located on a dead-end road, just across the main road, and 100 yards north of the cemetery. The houses now belong to the blacks that live there and they may be able to trace their ancestors back to the original inhabitants. The church at the end of that road has been there forever, which in this neck of the woods means 150-200 years. As far as spending any money on a historical survey...that ain't gonna happen, as that could lead to a heap of trouble.
    Many years ago I surveyed this cemetery and a number of others in this county, most were cemeteries that were unknown and forgotten. My Father, being a local farmer, was able to help me collect information from other farmers in the area. I summited those surveys to the local library and historical/genealogical society. I could go back and revise those surveys, but since the cemeteries are all inactive why bother?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    HK_User likes this.
  12. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

I now have a 48v inverter, the seller tells me that it connects right at the mains, before my distribution box. Does anyone know how this gets wired up? I'm going to get an electician to do it, but I feel I need the info before that. Thank you.

HK_User likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Where it connects to your loads, is dependent on if it is capable of “Whole House” operations or just able to operate just some of your house loads... and how long your Battery Bank can sustain those loads, before you either start a backup genset, or the power comes back on...

HK_User likes this.
  14. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

It's supposed to be a whole house where the grid takes over when the solar/batteries are done. I found this:

[​IMG]

15. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

16. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Not an Electrician here but remember us/uk wiring is different (mainly voltage 120 vs 240. And wattage ) so make sure the advice here applies to what your doing.

Ganado likes this.
  17. factorfate

factorfate Monkey

Hi, I had to start this thread again with a new subject.

I now have an inverter and the suppliers tell me that I wire the incoming mains DIRECTLY into it, and then to the distrubution board. So as the solar and battery drop away the mains takes over again.

I will get an electrician to do this part, but I just want to make sure that this is correct?
    ie Mains into inverter to distruibution board?

I have found this diagram and this is the inverter:

12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That appears correct as long as back feeding through a receptacle is allowed. I dont understand why neutral wires are on a breaker, some kind of backwards uk electrical code I will never understand. Also a 12v UPS is really not appropriate for powering a house.

19. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

All ground fault breakers are wired that way.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  20. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Well, because even though it is called a neutral it is a current carrying conductor.

Cruisin Sloth and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7