"Off grid" in the heart of historic San Juan

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by DKR, Oct 23, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As the debate on fossil vs Renewable power contiunes

This magazine offers an insight into the working of the 'centralized power' industry.
    POWER Magazine :: Power generation news and jobs in coal, gas, nuclear, renewables

Of note is the article on Missouri Utility Closing Coal Plant, Adding Wind Generation
    is one of several where the cost of traditional 'baseline' generating plants can't compete with renewable sources owing to the cost of fuel and maintenance.

In anther piece found in the magazine, a Texas supplier is closing two coal fired and two nuke plants as costs overrun any income. The wholesale price of power in TX has dropped significantly over just the last 4 years....

I hope hope you have your alternative power systems in place, things are going to get sporty ral soon....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    ghrit likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Did you see the pictures of the solar and wind farms on the south and east of the island?
    The PV panels were demolished and the wind turbines had their blades torn off.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is the thing about Alt-Energy.... It has basic vulnerabilities just like every thing else.... And High Winds are a BIG ONE...

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Seems like everyone who saw the 2 panel arrays in down town are all like "rebuild with wind and solar power", they obviously didn't see the alternative energy genocide on the east end of the island.

5. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Palo Verde the nuclear plant in AZ provides the equal power of maybe millions of wind turbines. with one of its reactors.
    i once read an interesting article on slow reactors using Thorium.This was the original idea to power a station on the moon.
    The gov. decided to throw its weight behind fast reactors and that's where we are at. in northern AZ wind turbines were put up and then our rates were raised. A local told me of problems with ice on small home wind turbines. I figure the idea of using wind at night to charge up batteries seems like a good idea. i had a coworker tell me of small pebble-bed reactors the size of a semi-trailer being able to power small cities. Many old plants need to be upgraded with more efficient and safer systems.
    I stick with small systems and the idea of living without. things you take for granted may someday not work or not be there.
    I find President Trumps talk about clean coal to be pretty funny.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Prepper12
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. SurvivalJester
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. CodE BluE
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid