Off grid - living in an RV (or smaller) full time

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by DKR, Jul 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You are 100% correct. My time spent living in mine taught several lessons. Some are:

1) Utilizing space. Space in an RV is at a premium. Using every nook n cranny for storage is paramount.

2) Housekeeping. While I am kind of a neat freak anyway living in an RV makes you have a place for everything and to keep everything in its place. Otherwise you won't be able to walk across the room before long.This also helps when it's time to move. If everything is already cleaned and put away, it takes much less time to hook up and move out.

3) Conservation. Energy and water. While 99% of the time I was working on the road I had full hookups, there were a few that I didn't. Knowing just how long I could go on existing water, battery life and propane is an advantage.

4) Grocery shopping. Knowing just how much space I had for food helped determine what and how much I bought. I could easily keep 45 days worth of food in that 26 footer. When I added a small freezer plugged into the outside outlet I doubled that. I would time my food in the freezer so that when the job was winding down the food was mostly used up and the freezer would be stored inside the RV for the move. Any remaining frozen stuff was transferred to the RV's freezer.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

After my wife an I married her parents retired and traveled the country helping out church camps and ministries along the way .
    What they started out with was a pick up truck/ camper and 16 ' camp trailer . .
    Through the years they were talked into trying other forms of travel/living, and in the end came back to the system they started out with .
    It was more convenient for the trailer stay put at a camp they were serving, and the truck is free to wander about town , a motor home was expensive to drive to town for some small part to complete a project . If the truck had a problem , a friend could haul the trailer for them to their next destination and didn't have to be left at the side of the road.
    If it's a motorhome, it's a whole lot more expensive to deal with, in every way .
    When it was time to move along, they just hook and haul , if was just an over night and back, they took the truck/camper.
    This way he also was able to have more of his own equipment along as well as their own supplies.
    If you want solar there is plenty of room on both the camper and the trailer .

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I have found most of the full timer couples run a 16 footer on the very small end and a 25 or 26 footer on the long end. I lived in a 19 foot rig and that seemed to be the happy spot - YMMV

1. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. martha_mill
  4. DKR
  5. SurvivalJester
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. troybillett
  11. Jaywest
  12. Adam_L
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. DKR