Off grid noob battery question

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Kamchuka, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

First time post here. just wondering if anyone has any experience with nickel cadmium wet cell batteries for storage?
    My current situation is fine, most of the house propane: fridge, water heater, dryer, etc. making our needs for power generally low but in the future I will add a full size fridge and freezer. I currently run less than 5kwh on 2500 magnum inverter, 6 L16 Trojans, 4 panels and 10k genny. on summer days we only fire the genny every three days or so to do laundry and top off batteries.
    During my hustle for a larger system I ran across (acquired) 95 small 1.2v, 30ah NiCad wet cells. essentially giving me 5X24v cells with 2850 ah total. I'm riddled with questions as these are NIB and im excited to see what they can do but I'll start with: does anyone have experience with this or similar setup? dimensionally they are around 1.5" thick 4" wide and 9" tall each.
    Thanks in advance!

T. Riley likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

[welcomeLG] [worthless]

3. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

Sorry...noob

20161025_142431.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No need to be sorry.... It just helps the responders to formulate a good answer....

Looks like .MIL Surplus ... Interesting stuff... I could use some of those around here....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

They are MIL surplus. I'm excited about the potential but not sure what it is...if that makes sense. I understand most of the pros and cons, and have done some reading on them but haven't got any real feedback from someone using them yet. All I get is "fork lift batteries man"...

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

As long as your batteries are serviceable and you are sure of the care that went into them, they should be good. Like all batteries, Make sure you never fully discharge them below a "Safe" minimum, or a discharge rate that exceeds capacity! Welcome Aboard!

7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yes I remember SAFT batteries, they were pretty cool stuff back in the 70's, they had this battery that was 1.5" W X 4" L X .25 H
    They are still in business, but I don't think the Solar wizards recommend NiCad for storage.

Rancher (Oh and welcome)

8. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

Thanks Ura-Ki. I think one of the major advantages to these particular batteries is that they can be fully discharged. They are used in several applications where that is preferred. At least that's I read on the internet so it has to be right.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Only things with NiCd is they suffer a kind of high discharge rate and they can develop memory.
    They do like to be ran dead and running them all the way down doesn't hurt them, it may even be good for them from time to time.
    The 3rd line of text down is the national stock number. Just enter that number on the old Internet and if anyone any where is selling them it will show up, in case you need to buy more.

10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Them are Aviation Cells in my world for Helios , due to lighter weight than FLA .
    They are also high maintenance , due to size etc .(them are starting batterys & Low output over time [30Ah=squat])
    Still used today to fire up the Helios but the Helios run on fuel & generators as your car. they start the turbines with them
    Good to have , but I would not use these for the RE world .

& NO they CAN-NOT be fully discharged.

1.2Vdc to .95 and then they start to DIE. Posted in your PIX

Sloth

11. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

Thanks gents. So sloth, what applications in an off grid scenario do you see for these? Or should I send them down the road for something else.

12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Chicken house / wood shed that you need light for 10 mins at night , uses a 10W panel for a 12vdc SETUP TO CHARGE .
    you get 18-20Vcd out of a 12Vdc panel & with those cells you won't need a CC. , just a blocking diode.
    You could power a LED 12Vdc 10 watt load for 10mins .
    Light back up use 12 cells in series is my 12Vdc math KAM

Sloth

Kamchuka likes this.
  1. Prepper12
  2. Big Ron
  3. Ganado
  4. ED GEiN
  5. GrayGhost
  6. Hillbilly549
  7. Papa_asf130
  8. GrayGhost
  9. CodE BluE