Off Grid Solar

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by AllTrades, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AllTrades

AllTrades Monkey

I am new to off grid and recently built my first off grid solar system. After a little trial and error and a lot of research this is what I came up. I explain in the video how to properly size your system and figure out how much panel wattage you will need compared to battery bank size. I live in a really sunny area year round so pv array size will no doubt need to be bigger in other places.

I used 4 Suniva 320 watt panels
    8 interstate 6v 232ah deep cycle batteries ran series/parallel for a 24 v system
    Outback FM-60 charge controller
    Samlex 1000watt pure sine wave inverter

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nice Stuff.... Welcome to the Monkey Tree....

3. AllTrades

AllTrades Monkey

Thanks! This site looks great. I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I just finished mine. 9 100 watt grape solar cells in three series groups, Outback FM-80, 4 155ah 12v VMaxTank batteries and 2000 Watt psw inverter. I do wish I had selected larger panels.

5. AllTrades

AllTrades Monkey

Sloth,
    I hear you on the wire sizing. Being an AC guy, figuring the DC side was interesting but I think I got it now.
    My PV wires are #8 which can handle up to 40 amps at 140degF divide my wattage (1280) by the voltage (72) and you get about 18 amps, so plenty of wire there.
    As far as my inverter wires which are #2 wire; my inverter is 1000w and might peak at 2000w. So at the max, 2000w divided by 24volts (batteries) is 83 amps. # 2 wire is rated at 95 amps.
    That is how I figured out my wiring. Like I said though, I am new to this stuff and if there is something else I could account for I'm counting on the more experienced to point it out. Thanks.

What are VD?

6. AllTrades

AllTrades Monkey

Nice. Did you run your batteries as 12, 24 or 48 volt?

7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

12 volts on the batteries for the time being.

8. AllTrades

AllTrades Monkey

Sloth,
    Thanks, I will check that stuff today.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Some of the BEST wire you can score for InterBattery, and Battery/Inverter connections, is Old Welding Cable..... Ask around at a Welding Supply House, if they have any Old Welding Cable with Insulation Cracks or Burnt thru spots on the Insulation.... I picked 50Ft of the stuff from a BUD who owned such a store, and have made plenty of Cables from that.... Still have about 25 ft left...... Any Insulation Breaks can be repaired with Liquid Rubber, and Scotch88 Tape.....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@AllTrades - that is just about the best laid out and concise primer to solar power I've seen. I really like how you use practical example to work from need to sizing each component based on that requirement and the prerequisite needs of each before it. I also like the use of a higher capacity inverter used only when you need it to prevent wasting energy and creating additional heat.

Well done!

AllTrades likes this.
  11. AllTrades

AllTrades Monkey

I've been so busy lately I haven't had the chance to check them yet. I'll get back to you when I do.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Navyair
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. SurvivalJester
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Cwmoore
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. CrazyJs
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid