Off Grid

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by lonewolf89, Mar 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. lonewolf89

lonewolf89 Monkey

anyone off grid in indiana? also needing to know basic items to have when starting to go off grid.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That depends a lot, upon your situation. What type of land, ,how much, running water? Well? Or undeveloped woods? Do you have the land now, or are you starting your search now? Skill sets,? what kind of work can you do for yourself vs what would need to hired out. Also, on your general health, and what medical issues you may have.
    (Without going into much personal data) you need to deside how you want to live, and what your requirements are, then you can start to figure out how to get there.

3. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

If you have Grid Power, you don't want to go off-grid, you may want to go Grid-Tie with the ability to go off in a SHTF scenario.

3cyl and chelloveck like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AzRancher is correct, Grid Power is the cheapest energy, one can find. The only Good Reason to be Off-Grid is that there is NO Grid within reasonable Distance, and Price, to your Place. Much better to have it, and have BackUp Energy, ready to go, when the Grid Dies. For My AoO, the nearest Grid is 50 Miles away, and two Mountain Ranges. So, I generate ALL my own Power, and it isn't cheap. Grid electricity is a lot cheaper than Candles, or Kero Lamps, of Yesteryear.

chelloveck and azrancher like this.
  5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I have Grid-tie, 8.4 KW (on a really good day), I'm working on backup to off-grid.
    That's 35 240 Watt Sharp panels.

BTPost likes this.
  6. electrodacus

electrodacus Monkey

The others here are right. If you have grid power already there is no reason to go OffGrid.
    I live OffGrid because that is what I'm passionate about but OffGrid power especially the traditional one with Lead Acid is a few times more expensive than grid power.
    I use LiFePO4 but this is new and if you seen my post about my amortisation cost at 16 cent/kWh for my OffGrid system you need to know that is just for equipment I did all the installation for free and even so with LiFePO4 and DIY instillation is barely comparable to grid depending on your grid rate and is not as comfortable as grid you need to use energy based on weather.
    If you are building a new house and there is no grid available or grid is to expensive to connect then you may consider OffGrid but need to start with energy efficiency if you do not want to spend a fortune on electricity.

7. den_hart

den_hart Monkey

Hello @lonewolf89. I'm from IN also and I've been looking at getting away from it all for the last couple of years. How is it going for you?

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am partially off grid using only city power for hi amp requirements welders refrigeration and large air compressors .
    I use 12 volt DC LED lighting for most all my lights and my bill is significantly smaller than any of my neighbors .
    I say solar is worth the investment .
    My highest bill has been this last month with the 100 + DEGREE DAYS $94.00 running the swamp cooler more than usual, but usually it is around $30.00- $40.00 when temps are milder .
    I have been collecting /building my solar for over 40 years and still functional .

Cruisin Sloth and Ganado like this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. M118LR
  3. Motomom34
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. lonewolf89
  6. Motomom34
  7. melbo
  8. Tango3
  9. monkeyman
  10. survivalmonkey
  11. monkeyman