Off the grid communities in the US?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Bgeary, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Bgeary

Bgeary Monkey

I'm new on my search for a alreadly established off the grid community. Does anyone know of any recordable ones in the US that can be contacted? I'm curious on how to join a community.

hitchcock4 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree... I think you will find that most Off-Grid Communities are very Private about sharing their Stories & Information... In the “Prep’er World” that is called Operational Security or OpSec... There are just way to many Whackos, and wierdos in the population to advertise a lot by anything except Word of Mouth... So basically you have to know somebody, already accepted by the Group, who can vouch, or Sponcer you, to the Group.... The other thing that tends to make a Group nervious is looking at what SkillSets the new Guy brings to the Group, that they may be needing... No SkillSets, Not interested...In such a Group, everyone needs to “Pull their own Weight” or better, just to survive... No room for slackers, Period...
    I live far out in the Alaskan Bush, and those folks that can’t make it out here, alone, head south about NOW, because the rest of us do not have time to deal with GreenHorns, that do not have the First Clue... what it takes to live out this far... Hang around here long enough, and learn what this site can teach, and just maybe in a year or two you might find an Outfit willing to take a chance on you....

3. Bgeary

Bgeary Monkey

Oh ok. I'm not in any rush. I do not have a lot of skills besides being athletic. I could do light to maybe some intense labor work. I would defiantly qualify as a green horn lol but we all gotta start from scratch somewhere.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

True words here, ,,,,I'm still lookin fer my off grit community ,, my best skill set is stirring the chit barrel with mogas ,,,,,any takers,,,,[LMAO]

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

There are dozens of communes that were started in the 1970s and have managed to hold it together. I have read articles that said that Maine has the most existing communes, as an organic farmer I know that some vendors I rub elbows with live on communes, but I have no idea of to get a listing of them.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Bgeary

Bgeary Monkey

I guess it sounds only the elite of the elite masters of off grid lifestyles are bumped to the top of the list. I'll continue my search. I'm sure the interwebs have a lot of other ways to contact communities. Word of mouth here in Boston is unlikely for any creditable info. #greenhorn #lookingformoreinfo #someonetakemein

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm from maine.
    Don't go to maine.

I say pick some where that you don't have to struggle to not freeze to death for 5 months of the year.

If I were you first 2 steps would be.
    1, get the hell out of boston, I can't even stand to drive through that place.
    2, south.

sec_monkey, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm not too sure I can tell where you're coming from with that. One thing is for sure, SM takes personal security seriously, and personal information is never passed along without direct and explicit permission. Due diligence is the responsibility of the one that seeks info. Here, you will not be flooded with volunteers, and any that do contact you need to be checked out, just as they will you.

9. Bgeary

Bgeary Monkey

I'll wait patiently for anyone who is willing to talk with me about anything off the grid communities.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Bgeary

Bgeary Monkey

I'm a master of the streets here in bean town my man. My 9 yr old son lives in Maine and my daughter lives here. I'll defiantly be looking for a community that is very South or at least sees very little winter.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!
    I know of no off grid communities here, Not saying there isn't any, Who knows?

12. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Well... in AZ we have off grid homes, communities... not so much so, you may get to know your nearest neighbors, provided that they are playing with a full deck, but many of the people that go "off grid" do it to get away from the world, so there is no community per say. Hope that helps some, there are many places to go off grid in AZ, some places are better than others, I would start with Google Earth, then find a map of privately owned land in AZ, because much of it is Government owned (State, BLM, Federal (forest service), National Monuments, Indian Reservations etc).

Rancher

Zimmy, Altoidfishfins and Bgeary like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I also think maine attracted at least a few of these people because they used to be a big welfare state with 8 to 9% unemployment being normal.
    Now it's like 3% because of La Paige, the states Republican governor.

14. BenP

BenP Monkey++

If you want to be off grid you should buy a little farm house and go for it.

I never heard of off grid communities but I am sure they exist.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The Amish?
    They're an off grid community lol.

3M-TA3, BenP, TnAndy and 2 others like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The reason many are secretive is that they loose their security and near by towns get uncomfortable and drive them out.
    Earth ship is one of them. minding their own business making homes that were out of the ordinary but functional and interesting a safe enough, still not according to county codes they got shut down .mostly because they advertised their place to the world .
    I passed up on opportunities offered me ,not so much due to the people but the country and it's anti gun laws . Not only that but the expense of moving there with all my stuff.
    I don't mind selling /sharing and what have you but getting things long distances is costly and I have literally tons of tools and equipment .
    It is common knowledge that if you plan to move to Alaska , plan to loose half your stuff along the way the roads are rough on large and small vehicles , things like furniture don't travel well. In my understanding having moved many times personally people get too anxious to get form point A to point B they don't take the time to pack properly/thoughtfully considering the trip and assume too much of the carrier . Some folk use cargo containers which is fine except they go through al the same territory and many of the same hazards.
    if things aren't packed like shipping crate so that even if the container goes on it's side or up side down nothing moves, what isn't screwed down get's thrown around and turn ever thing to scrambled eggs by the time it gets to point B. not many people are willing to go through that much effort .
    When you go long ways off grid it cost something more to ship it there, unless you have the equipment to make it happen.
    If you hoping to go it ,"on the cheap" you misunderstand what being off grid is .
    I did solar before it was popular and it cost me more than what folks are paying now for panels and inverters and supplies. I may not be a tech savvy as some but I know my way around my equipment .
    A lot of one's contribution is their skills and their tooling and in some cases materials as well.
    I am not particularly fond of buying things on line or over the phone because some sellers are shady knowing the trouble it is to return things.
    I have a friend that goes through this issue regularly ,that's her choice not mine .
    If you order a 20' 2"x4", and what they ship you looks more like a propeller because it from core lumber, what you have is expensive fire wood. because the price of shipping it back exceeds the cost of the wood. Where as if you are needing wood ,you go to the lumber yard and select what you know to be quality material and then prepare it for transport.
    You pretty much know what your getting .
    And that's just the logistics of getting there.
    Still is the cooperation of being accepted .
    Though initial introductions may be positive still it takes time to know and be known for what you will tolerate and what you won't .what they will tolerate and what they won't . If you have a lot invested ,and things go sour you need a back up plan/provision .
    Conversely , if you have been building a relationship with a group over time by some form of actual participation you have a better foundation of a relationship to work with .

Bgeary and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I figure it would be kind of like trying to join a motor cycle gang.
    You start out as a "hang around", then move to "prospect", then "probationary member" and then full member.

Yard Dart, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Nice guys, they made me a holster and shoulder harness for my pistol.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They must like you.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Actually, I think they like my wife, the guy made it for my wife for my birthday. She said he was really excited about it and asked her a lot of questions. I think he must make a lot of them, it is a really nice piece. I was having a difficult time finding something that would fit my Ruger Mark III that was not complete junk. He made it so I can disconnect the holster from the shoulder harness and wear it on my belt which I do often if I'm out checking cows at night or clearing traps.

Zimmy likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7