Off the grid communities in the US?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Bgeary, Sep 2, 2018.

1. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

First off, not much help on how to join. I’m sure there are some of these communities that will have some sort of vetting process, whether that’s a background check, references, just being around the group before letting you in fully, or all the above. If anyone in that group don’t personally know you they should do something to check you out, or I would feel really suspect about that group.

As far as finding a group, with a quick search online you will be able to find a few like I did. These are a few, but there are others you just need to search a little harder than I did.

1) Fortitude Ranch This will set you back about $1000 per year and looks like they have these places spread out all over the country even one in Vermont and Pennsylvania. If you want more information check them out.

2) Vivos xPoint Massive Bunker Complex This looks this place is in South Dakota and you can buy your own bunker in the area. It looks like maybe an old munitions bunkers that they convert to living areas. Anyway it’s expensive. You can look at the price when you go to the link.

Other links like these are good places to start .

Newest Communities - Fellowship for Intentional Community

I AM OFF GRID AND I WANT OTHERS TO JOIN ME Archives | Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself

I could spend a lot of time going over why being in a place like these could be very bad if something major happened. With that I’m sure there would be some upside, but I would think that it would be more down than up. Personally I would save up buy some land and start a group with people you can trust. I would also try to leave the city, in any scenario there are none where you want to be stuck in the city. Short or long term I think that the cities especially one the size of Boston would be turned upside down in a few days or week. You can search this site for discussion on these topics and it might get you thinking about the downfall of living in the city during an event like this. You need to get out and practice or learn as many skills as you can. First you live in a major city; I’m sure that you can find groups of people that are doing things that will help you learn new skills. Get you HAM radio license. Red Cross and other places offer first aid classes some might be free, some you will have to pay for. Gardening, something anyone can do even in an apartment. Local horticultural and garden clubs sometime offer classes. That is a skill that is worth having anyway. Learn to sew, crochet, knit and other types of crafts. Learn to work on engines, be a handyman, things like this. Do martial arts, become a master and start teaching them. With you being in a large city there are endless thing you can find with a little search you can do and probably do some for for free. These skills that you learn will help you in getting into a community or even the ability to start your own. Also sites like meetup.com you can find prepper groups there, maybe one of the people there might be of some help.

One more thing, your comment about being “a master of the streets” would turn a lot of people off and makes you seem arrogant and shady. There is a need for some street smarts in a survival situation, but it’s not a necessary skill that people seek out for membership into an off-grid community. I have some street smarts too, but that’s something I keep to myself.

Hope this helps.

Bgeary, arleigh, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

wet camp.
    Probably a good idea to check the elevation while you're scouting off-grid communities.

GrayGhost, oldawg, Bgeary and 2 others like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Wow! Did I pour water on this thread, or what?

I've given it some thought and the nearest we come around here short of urban campers in the woods and behind gas stations are some minimally on-grid communities. They're year round RV parks near the beach. Most of the trailers and RV's will never move again unless it's on a storm tide. Some are mostly self sufficient, others have a few campers hooked to local utilities, and lots of extension cords to friends trailers. 55 gallon drum septic systems are common here, and most of the residents can carry water from a neighborhood well.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7