off the wall gun Q?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by beast, Sep 20, 2011.

1. beast

beast backwoodsman

has anyone ever tried making a muzzle loader with a rotating cylender like a revolver
    one that could be preloaded and changed like a magazine?
    if so, why wasnt it continued and what were the results?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Samuel Colt had a Carbine that used a Revolver Mechanism, with a 18" barrel, and Winchester type stock...... I believe Remington also made such a weapon as well....

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

did they work decently?
    ive been thinkin of tryin to make one

thanks i found the info i needed
    ill be doin some drawings now :)

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

They were known for occasional chain fires (neighboring chamber or chambers fired at same time) when primary chamber fired. Most barrels of these weapons did not have a fore arm grip thus holding on to hot barrel discouraged hand placement out there. So the weapon is muzzle heavy to the extreme. You can imagine the damage possibly done to a supporting arm if holding the barrel forward of the cylinder. Additionally even with excellent barrel cylinder alignment, there is hot gas escape/discharge where the two meet upon firing the weapon. Also occasional tiny particals of lead shaved from the bullet. All in all the conditions above distract from accurate firing of the weapon. Decades ago replicas of the Remington or Colt versions were available. A friend in a muzzleloading club had one that I shot a few times. Double rotating barrels were a better option. Here is an example: http://www.swivelbreech.com/
    I am still in contact with my friend who had one of the colt/remington replicas and will contact him for comment.
    My friend had the remington version. Here is an example: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=633440
    an excellent article on the remington: http://www.alliancelink.com/srrs/articles/forgotten1866.htm
    here is the colt version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_carbine.jpg
    or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_Roots_British_Carbine.JPG

5. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a revolver carbine that has spare .45LC cylinders that can be changed pretty quickly. It is a .44 Navy model and Cabelas sells both the carbine and the .45LC cylinders for them.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

+1 on the chain fires... watched one chain fire at a cowboy shoot/demonstration fortunately it was firing blanks... fired 2 cylinders at once... no damage to either the shooter or the weapon... yiou need to seal the cylinders with somethig like lard or lube to keep it from hapening...

ymmv

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Chain fires are a, not common, but inevitable happenstance, in Multi Cylinder Black Powder Weapons. The usual way to prevent such occurrences is, after the Cylinders are loaded, but before the Caps are put in place, to fill the space between the Projectile and Cylinder Face, with a nonflammable Grease. I use Crisco, myself. Others use BP Bullet Lube, and I have seen Axle Grease used.
    ..... YMMV....

9. beast

beast backwoodsman

great thanks on the info guys

10. 44044

44044 Monkey+++

I think that Colt made a revolving shotgun also

11. beast

beast backwoodsman

ive been toying with a solid bar type magazine
    that would pass up thru the chamber area
    something that looks kinda like an m16 but is a muzzle loader

12. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Didn't Patterson also make a revolving shotgun?

13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Try Bacon

I'd recommend bacon fat for that pleasant breakfast aroma of pan fried smoky bacon while yer sending lead down range at the guys wearin' black hats! You may not kill them, but you'll surely torment the life outa them! ; )

14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I prefer Mink Oil paste in the flat can, like shoe polish. It smells nice (it WILL splatter things a bit...), and doesn't melt in Florida heat. I also like the lubed felt Wonder Wads over the powder. I have never lubed the rear of the cylinder, and if the bullet/ball fits properly, there should be no chainfire from the front flame. I've been shooting three cap&ball replica revolvers (a Colt 1860 Army and two Colt 1851 Navies, all in .44 caliber) since the late 70's off & on, and NEVER had one chainfire.
    I also use T/C Bore Butter, but it's rather expensive.

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Good memory!

Patent Arms, a company formed by Colt in Paterson, NJ.

16. beast

beast backwoodsman

for the time being im gonna work with a .25 caliber
    muzzle loading revolver
    the tools for makin the bore that size are easy to get
    and it wont be such a big BANG if i f*ck somethin up :)
    im wanna make the backside of the cylinder indented
    with a nipple in the indentation for those lil primer caps
    anyone know the size of them off-hand?
    inside dia and height, so i can make the nipple right?

17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

18. beast

beast backwoodsman

thanx tac

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7