Offgrid security cameras

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Eagle's Nest, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Amazon and eBay are both good places to look for PTZ POE Webcams..... I can't remember the exact BRAND NAME but 99% of these things are built in China, and many are exactly the same, just different LOGOs printed on them.... the $2KUS Ones are built on the same assembly lines as the $150US ones, and mostly have the same Feature Set.... Some are NOT POE, but I make my own POE Systems using Encapsulated Switching PowerSupplies that have a Wide Input Voltage Range, and a Regulated 12 Vdc Output... These are available from Newark, Jameco, DigiKey, and many other Electronic Supply Houses.... usually for around $15-20 US or cheaper....

Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have 5 non- working game cameras plus 2 that do work aimed at my gate and cabin, Let them guess which ones to avoid.
    BTW, All are at least 9 feet off the ground.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Drop Dead Fred keeps an eye out 24/7

IMAG00506.

Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

:eek: Fred looks like a feral from 5.2 ;) :lol:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Does Fred get a wardrobe change with the turning of the seasons?
    There is a guy about 30 minutes from here that has a full size medical school skeleton sitting in a battered lawn chair at the end of his drive up by the road. Known locally as "Skeleton Man" his dress changes with the season, holiday and of course is dressed in Bama gear on game day weekends. Have no idea how long he's been there but it's been at least 15-20 years.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Not a bad ideal, I need some summer wardrobe suggestions?

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Tully Mars

Get him one a pair of faded cut off BDUs with this
    crayfishblack.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[lolol][lolol][lolol]

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just don't put camo on him. (I THINK the idea is to be seen ---) Jail house orange?

10. Eagle's Nest

Eagle's Nest Monkey

I wanted to follow up on this post. I ended up using the Blue Iris software and purchased 2 bullet style and 2 dome varifocal night vision cameras. I purchased a 400w 24v inverter that I run directly off my battery bank of 16 Trojan T105's which runs a small uninterruptible power supply. The UPS runs my WeBoost cellular booster and my small 4 port PoE Ethernet switch. I built a compact PC that measures about 7" x 7" with an ITX board, i7 Intel processor, 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD hard drive. I tried it on an old laptop first, but the software pegged the processor at 100% and was unusable. I attached a Verizon Jetpack hotspot via a USB cord and get internet via the cable rather than WIFI to save power. It also keeps it continuously charged. I found that when the PC was at rest, it used a lot of bandwidth even without the BlueIris software running. The software took quite a bit too, but I didn't need it to broadcast any images, just send a text and an email with a small thumbnail of the movement when it is triggered. You might be able to get by with an i5 and 8GB RAM, but I would not go lower. I chose the SSD hard drive also to save power. The power supply is an automotive style that connects to 24vdc. I chose the automotive since it has a very wide range of acceptable DC input voltage since my batteries can operate anywhere between 22.5 and 29 volts. This has been working great for almost a week since I worked the bugs out of it. My next project is to find a way to remotely turn on my Magnum 4024 inverter and then my furnace. If anyone has ideas on that, let me know. If anyone wants specifics on the equipment I used, I am happy to reply. Thank you to all the posters that helped me with this. I am pretty happy with it...but so far, I have only gotten movement photos of horseflies and spiders on my cameras. Hoping to see lynx, bear and moose soon.

upload_2017-7-17_21-10-44.

techsar, BTPost, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Very nice!

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. sec_monkey

yep [coo] :)

13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you were doing 120Vac I would use one of these..... http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc7man.pdf... But for DC or just a Switch Closure. I would be looking at a Adrino Processor with a Built-In IP Stack, and write a bit of Code to trigger a Relay from one of the Parallel Ports.... Then just send a TCPIP Packet to the IP Address of the Adrino, with a Command to switch the Right Pin on the Parallel Port, that causes the Relay to Open or Close...

VisuTrac and sec_monkey like this.
  15. sec_monkey

The DLIs have relays inside ;) accordin to our intel [winkthumb]

the relays are usually rated 120Vac @ about 5-10A max

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  16. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I have seen many cheap systems on Amazon that would most likely work. I was looking into those PTZ POE Type cameras and setup. Sounds good if you have a working internet. I would guess that a low power setup could work at home with hardwired cameras
    to a small computer and hard drive in an SHTF kinda time. I looked at some of the links from above and the cameras seemed really good. Any advice would be good.Maybe help out the less technically inclined. Any good sites to look at?

1. Ganado
  2. HK_User
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. BelBol
  7. Bishop
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Seacowboys
  12. oil pan 4