Ohio State University- thoughts

Discussion in 'Tin Foil Hat Lounge' started by Motomom34, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Today we had an incident of a Somalian stabbing people on a campus allegedly because he had nowhere to pray. I am not starting this thread as a debate on immigrants, ISIS or how high the chances are that Obama will make it a law that Muslims have designated prayer places. What I started this thread about was for our safety and for our kids and grandkids, those we care about. As I looked at the photos from the Ohio State University stabbing incident, things popped into my head and I will go over these pictures with the kids and ask them, are these people safe? What could they do? The photos are during and after after but here are my mental notes or thinking:

Lookie Loos are bad and if a second wave happens these people are in a tight crowd which equals a prime target. Do not be a lookie loo!
    crowd.

Also, if you are going to stand around after an attack, keep your head up and eyes alert. Only one person in this picture is alert. The rest are zoned out, attention elsewhere.

crowd 2.

The door pulls out. The barricade is good because it slows the perp down but how could this room be secured if the door didn’t lock on the inside?

room1.

Here is another barricade that the students made but this is during the event. Notice what the students that are shelter in place doing.

room2.

I do know that authorities asked that people please do not call or texted loved ones on campus. I thought this was good. Authorities asked that you wait for them to contact you. That is a good mental note because if your loved one is sheltering from a gunman or bad person, your call or text could alert the perp to their location.

Anyone else have thoughts or see things in these pictures or the others that are good lessons, good points and how do you secure those rooms with the door that pulls out?

Pictures found here: Ohio State University assailant dead and multiple people injured at Columbus campus | Daily Mail Online

Sgt Nambu, Bandit99, Aeason and 8 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

At least he obeyed the gun free zone. Wonder how long it will take before cars and knives aren't allowed on campus. :rolleyes:

Sometimes, the thought of these human dirt bags going to Hell is just not enough!

3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Excellent thread MM. Those kids scare the heck out of me, they seem unbelievably tuned out under the circumstances.

Tully Mars, Aeason, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You know, if it were for laptops, mobile devices, phablets. One of those darn kids would have had a pencil or pen and could have ... oh wait they don't know what they are for. Nevermind, carry on.

Sgt Nambu, Aeason, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I phone zombies= prime targets!
    Put down the phones, There is a whole new world in front of you!

6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My boss (51 years old) can zone out with an IPad so bad that he no longer hears conversations or even reacts to loud noises. It ain't just the millenials.

Tully Mars, Sgt Nambu, Aeason and 4 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I-phone zombie's can be any age from 8 to 80

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    • Quickly and Easily Locks Outward Opening Doors from the Inside
    • Solid Design with More than 700 lbs. of Door Holding Power
    • Works on Both Left & Right Opening Doors
    • Simple 30 Second Installation & Removal
    • Affordable Personal Safety for Lockdown Situation
    $90/door and I would guess quantity discounts can be had.

Maybe the Profs could give up a tiny bit of their 6 figure paychecks to improve student security....

[​IMG]
    for doors with crash bars

[​IMG]
    use a belt or strap on the door closer

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pass Campus Carry, in your State, and then when the Muzzie Dufus with a knife, opens the Door, you blast his A$$, back into the Stone Age, where he can practice his Religon, in its own time...

10. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Nice thread kind of dovetails into this thread.

Situational awareness
    • White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."
    • Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."
    • Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.
    • Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person" — 'X' has happened, the fight is on.

Some have added code black.
    Black: One trainer uses “black” to describe someone totally immobilized with panic —

Situational awareness Coopers codes- where are you? | Survival Monkey Forums

Tully Mars, Sgt Nambu, Aeason and 5 others like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Another reason I carry rope and a sharp knife everywhere I can. Easy to secure a door if it opens outward. Inward I'm thinking a wedge out of whatever. That's my first thought anyway. [afro]

Sgt Nambu, Bandit99, Aeason and 4 others like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Like others said above, it is the kids and adults also that zone out on their phone. It is scary how unaware these kids were after an event like this. None of them were in an alert state. As @stg58 pointed out in the chart of awareness, these kids should have been at an orange or at least a yellow but they sunk into a white within hours. That is very starling to me.

Excellent idea. I went over the pictures and the oldest was very interested in you post on how to keep the door secured. The belt is not perfect but a great idea. I wear belts all the time and I know my oldest does everyday. Nice to know they could help secure a room. @Meat mentioned wedging the door shut, I am wondering if a thin belt buckle would work.

Bandit99, Aeason, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Knife to the Door Jamb, driven in with a.................wait for it...............Book!

Tully Mars, Sgt Nambu, Aeason and 4 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Many ways to secure a door with things we monkey's should always have on our person! Belt, Para cord, Fixed blade knife, and My personal fav, small Boarding Ax! Books ( what those paper thingies in stacks on shelves are), are also good, open one up to the correct thickness and kick under the door! May not stop some one, but can serve as a warning that your door is about to be opened!

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You carry one of these around?
    ax.
    Is that what you are talking about? Aren't they kind of bulky to wear?

I like the book idea as a wedge. I know I have used one of my sandals to wedge a door open.

16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Where I work I could hide on the ceiling all day and no one would ever see me because everyone in the frickin' building walks around staring at a phone. Also, the idjits actually let people in the building to see who they are and what they want. For those who don't know, I work at a TV station which is considered a high value terror target. Last year our Baltimore sister station was held hostage by a man with a bomb in the lobby. Even that didn't change attitudes. People in this country have had it too easy for too long, breeding a generation that depends on others for everything, up to and including personal life safety.
    As an exercise, think about how easily you could get onto a campus, a power substation, water treatment plant. Observe things like mass gatherings and sporting events with an evil "what if" attitude and see how easily these things can become targets. We as a country enjoy more social freedom than almost anywhere, going about our lives with little worry about personal safety. Then think about how a raghead with just a knife can commit terror and no one picked up a two-by-four or something and helped him meet Allah. Maybe think about how people lost their lives in airplanes on 9/11 because some camel jockey had a boxcutter. Sorry, I would have needed stitches but Abdul would have needed a boxcutter extraction when we landed.
    My point is this: These things are going to become way more commonplace if Trump does even 10% of what he promised with foreign policy. Better get used to going about life in a yellowish-orange state of mind.

Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  17. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

If just 1 of these Zombie Snowflakes had been alert and armed, this would be a non-event!!

Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

1. Carry firearms. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
    2. Keep cell phones in your bag and turned off or in your car.
    3. Tell the Jihadists they can pray at home, on private property designated for their worship, in the Middle East, or in the confines of a prison cell.
    4. The door works both ways.

19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here is the one I use, I carry it up side down in a belt holster at the small of my back! pretty slick little tool for urban use in potential SHTF when visiting the civilization! Its 24" overall length keeps it small and it weighs under 3 pounds!
    [​IMG]

20. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Another thing I notice! This guy cut numerous college kids!
    I was already a vet when I entered college, but I was a skilled street fighter before the Army!

So, bring your knife over here, Johnny Jihad!
    college snowflakes are little pussy cats! My grandson, 15 yrs, can already disarm a bad guy and put him on the ground! Knows to give him a boot mark on his schnauzer, too! It was a lot of fun training him too! :D

1. Hanzo
  2. Tempstar
  3. Pax Mentis
  4. Brokor
  5. lonewolf88
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. Yard Dart
  9. melbo
  10. RightHand
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7