oil spill containment (noob questions)...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, May 22, 2010.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Okay everything I know about oil drilling I learned in 5 minutes off you tube[lolol].

So why can't BP, team America or somebody just slip a larger pipe over the leaking stem or perhaps even raise the end of the pipe closer to the surface to work around it better? I get the "massive heretofore unknown pressures" angle; ( I'd guess the water pressure at 5,000 feet is the only thing helping to slow the blowout)??

but??
    If the answer is way too complicated to explain on a forum to an uninformed " nattering nabob of negativity" :rolleyes: : I understand: just say "technical reasons; containment is very complicated and technologically unfeasible". I'll accept that.
    how bout encasing the whole fallen line in "under water" cement( I'd guess the high pressure would just wash it away before setting. Sticking it up a Tuna's azz?:rolleyes:?[boozingbuddies]

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If I understand all I think I know, they are planning and gearing up for a "top kill" meaning squirt a lot of cement in thru the BOP and see if it is heavy enough to slow things down enough to set a plug. I am not sure yet how well a junk shot will work, but if the junk will collect at the top of the bent pipe (at the smaller leak) then the cement should take. All TBD to me.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Kinks huh? perhaps they should use hydraulics or explosives to squash the pipe further?

Thank Ghrit..its all so simple from a keyboard in Wisconsin...:)

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hydraulics are what didn't work with the BOP. I don't know what the pipe ratings are either, so squeezing it flat is problematic. Dunno, might work, but I bet they thought of it already.

Explosive forming ---. Hm.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7