OK....solar really IS getting dirt cheap now.....

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by TnAndy, Oct 5, 2012.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I dunno about the shipping. This guy over in NC buys by the container load, so I'm thinking the 'per panel' shipping price ain't that much.

Enphase inverters do mount right on the back of the panel, converting DC to 240AC right there.....no central inverter, no charge controller, no batteries, GRID TIE ONLY.....can really use it off grid

The EMU is a com device so the inverters can connect to the internet. When you set up an Enphase system, they provide free monitoring of your panels, and you have a website for your system so you ( and the public can see part of it if you hand out the web address ) keep up with production, or see if something is wrong with an individual inverter/panel/connection.

Here's the URL for a guy I met locally that set up a 28 panel ( 7kw) system at his house, he went online in August.

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/CyHD97985

( IF you look today, you can tell it's a rainy, cloudy, cold crappy day in East TN.....he has only generated 3kw/hrs as of 3.40pm.....where a GOOD day, he will hit near 40kw/hrs )

Since I have a system already in place that generates grid acceptable power, I "think" in a grid-down-forever situation, I could make the Enphase inverters think my system was the grid, and they would keep on working with some wiring changes, but that is not confirmed...but no, you couldn't start off with a grid tie only system and add batteries later, at least any way I know of....

I've got my system set to the point of replacing 2/3 of my power use, and I think in a grid down situation, this would do for us.....this addition I'm looking at is now simply to reduce the electric bill even further. The TVA program, of which I'm 3 years into a 10 year contract period, pays us about 30-40 month + no bill at this point by generating 2/3 of our use ( incentive program to start up small solar sites ), but they are phasing out the program, and I assume it will not be renewed at the end of my 10 years.

SO, my thought is while the program IS in place, I'd use it to pay off this new addition, and then still shoot for little or no bill at the end of the contracted 10 years. I "think" ( but have been fooled before ) another 2.45kw will do about 25/month......that's 300 year, and after federal tax credit, I should have about 3500 in the new set up, so my remaining 7 years will pay about 1/2 of that or a little better.

Plus, the FRNs are sitting in the bank, going in the hole, interest wise, so at least with this I'm getting about a 6% return on it.....beats the <1% the banks pay.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Wow ,
    thanks for all the help guys ... ill let you no how i make out...
    It may not be all that bad for me cause LA is giving an 80% tax credit to anyone putting solar power in...
    Kinda like getting tax deductions for doing the whole "GREEN THING"

3. TnAndy

If LA is giving an 80% credit, every roof in town ought to be covered.

4. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

no LA is this state were u own a 65k dollar truck a 45K dollar boat and a 500$ 1957 single wide that still has a FEMA tarp on it ...

Wen i say LA i mean Lousiana...

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Just found a spool of 1400 ft 3/C #2 with Ground. Direct burial (or not its sun proof) 15KV
    That ought to cover the home run.

6. melbo

TnAndy Does your guy have any deals on trackers?

7. melbo

Made in the USA

What does it really mean to be made in America?

For SolarWorld, being made in America means more than simply assembling foreign components in the USA, which does little to benefit the economy. By carrying out the entire value chain in the USA , we are creating American manufacturing jobs not only at our factories but at our suppliers’ factories as well.
    We purchase our supplies and services right here in the U.S.
    American components and materials

• Raw silicon
    • Tempered glass
    • Aluminum module frames
    • Back sheets and embedding
    • Other direct and indirect materials
    American manufacturing

• Crystal growing and wafering in Hillsboro, OR
    • Cell manufacturing and module assembly in Hillsboro, OR
    • Module assembly, sales & customer service in Camarillo, CA
    Why made in America is important to our customers

• Highest quality products
    • Reliable delivery schedules
    • Local warranty and product support
    • Real energy independence vs importing
    • Meets and exceeds Buy America requirements
    • Avoids environmental costs of overseas shipping
    • Money spent stimulates the US economy and creates US jobs
    • Processes meet stringent US labor and environmental policies
    SolarWorld is investing over $500 million to expand US-based manufacturing, which generates hundreds of millions of dollars each year for American workers, goods and services.

8. TnAndy

Doesn't sell or install trackers.....and quite honestly, given the price of panels now, I wouldn't go that route either.

When I first started, "way back" (ahahahahaa) 4 years ago, panels were nearly 5 bucks/watt.....now at a buck, it makes way more sense to just put up a few more panels than buy or build a tracker.....unless your sun "window" is real real narrow.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7