Old guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman1111, Dec 13, 2021.

1. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Thise are gorgeous, Ura-Ki!!

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

John Moses Browning was a frinkin' genius!

Gator 45/70, GOG, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Life's too short to own ugly rifles! Nothing beats wood and blued steel, especially if that wood is a gorgeous piece of walnut or claro with ebony to go with that rich bluing we all love! Furthermore, classics in classic hunting calibers is where it's at, that new stuff is great for the kids! Lol

DKR, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

A muzzle brake would have been nice on my .375 H&H. It was a CZ, super accurate but the recoil was enough to detach a retina.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I do so love those old style revolvers and rifles in .44 and .45 cal! Lead projos at a decent MV and they were proven man and horse stoppers. When one can cast and reload, one is seldom or never out of ammo.

I do need to get a pair of 1858 Remingtons, and an 1851 Colt C&B’s one of these days.
    jim

6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I just brought it home. 1954 FN High Power. It's pretty nice and wasn't shot much. 20211218_143840. 20211218_143823. I'll clean it up, swap out the springs, remove the magazine disconnect, polish the feedramp and put some nicer grips on it.

Many years ago I had a similar stainless Browning HP and I always kicked myself for selling it. So this scratches a couple of itches.

7. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

Very nice,always wanted one
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  8. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

Not an old gun per say, but man is it fun to shoot!

010.JPG

9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@oldbee1966 please give a bit of info on that rifle, it's very interesting. The trigger and a Vernier sight is the extent of my knowledge.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Ive got an 1871 Mauser 11x60 mm and an 1871/84 but I dont shoot them.

11. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

GOG, It is a Shiloh Sharps 1874, 45-70, 34"bbl, it weights 12lbs 2 oz, a bench gun! I just put the MVA tang and globe front sights on. I just got it about 6 weeks ago and have not shot it a lot, but it is fun to shoot and I enjoy reloading for it. The bullet shown is a 535 gr. lead cast bullet.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Sweet, enjoy that smoke pole.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Does it require a FSS downrange to call shot fall?

Mother of Pearl - a monster, but a beauty...

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ha! The .500 isn't all that bad, feels about like my Ruger Hawkeye Guide .338 Win Mag! While it's a bit more then a Thuddy Aught Six running heavies, it's not all that bad really, it has more of a firm shove then a punch!

15. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Nothing that old... a 1908 Swede Mauser, and an old Turk Ankara-built "parts gun" that has parts from 98 Mauser. The Swede shoots as expected, and the Turk shoots better than expected. Borsigwald K98k in the mix too, all original, early 1943, built before the cost-saving shortcuts were made.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I only have one, a family heirloom. My Winchester Model 90 .22 Takedown. Originally chambered in .22 Short with an octagonal barrel, Dad had it rechambered in the mid 1950's for .22LR and that required a new barrel.

Win Mod 90.

17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

While the "gun-grabbers" are fixated on "black assault rifles and handguns with high-capacity magazines", the old guns with blued metal and wood stocks will hopefully go unnoticed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Nothing will go unnoticed, even cap guns (if they still make them) will be swept up. What will stop the madness is 175 grains of good old American goodness delivered at about 2700 fps.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7