Old Indian Stove ?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Gator 45/70, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The attached pictures are of an old indian stove ? or heater that was plowed up in a corn field in Missouri back in the 50ths.
    In the sun you can see glittering stone that i want to say is Mica...
    My question is this...Is this in fact a stove or perhaps just a heater that set in the middle of the tent.??
    Old stove 004.JPG Old stove 005.JPG

2. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Ive never seen anything like that I wonder if it is a heater what did they do put hot coals in it to smolder over night or hot stones? That a nice find

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That is kinda what i was after...Dad would claim that the indians would strip meat and lay it across the top to dry.?

4. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I could see that the indians had tools and ways to do things that have been lost over time we will never know about.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I would imagine that one could throw hot coals in it and lay strips of meat making jerky..

6. Espada

Espada Monkey+

If it's authentic ( really nice condition for being dug up), I'd say it was for heating a teepee, since it aims neither up (for cooking) nor parallel to the floor, for direct heating... just smouldering for radiating heat all night, with the "designated kid" to feed twigs till dawn.

"C'mon Dad, Leaping Lizard hasn't been on this duty for three suns !"

"Jeez, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit ?"

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well it is indeed authentic,My Grandfather plowed it up on his land and it's been passed down to me...He plowed this up with a tractor...Noticed it's shape and went back,picked it up and brought it home...

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

One more picture showing that there is no bottom...Could just set it on top of a fire perhap's.??
    Bottom 001.JPG

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The designated kid

The designated kid may have been feeding buffalo chips to the fire where there was nary a tree to be seen.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7