old medical "tech" goes a long, long way ...

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by enough, Feb 14, 2011.

1. enough

enough Monkey++

This is probably nothing new here, but I finally discovered how useful a neti pot really is.

I've had allergies all of my life, dust, pollen, etc .... its endless. At least twice a year, the allergies would end up becoming a sinus infection, and I would head to the doctor for antibiotics. Well, I had my first reaction to penicillin when I was in college, then being an idiot, I ended up having another to a derivative of penicillin later. Now this winter, I had a reaction to Sulpha-based AB. So, I'm quickly working down the list of ABs that my body doesn't like.

About two weeks ago, I could feel the pressure, and without getting into the details, I knew that I had another sinus infection. Instead of heading to the doc, I started self treating with steam, lots of liquids, etc. I was trying to see if my body would fight it off. I wasn't making much progress, but it wasn't getting worse either. Then about a week ago, I started to insuffilate (sp?) water while in the shower. (I'm not sure I used the right word. Basically, I sniffed some water up my nose, from a cupped hand.) It hurt, it burned, it was horrible .... and it started to work. About the same time I started with the water, I ordered a neti "bottle".

The bottle works without pain, using some salt packet stuff that came with it. (Not table salt.) So here I am, about four days after starting to use the bottle, and about a week after starting with the water, and everything is clear.

WOW. Had I only known. I could have saved myself a lot of time on AB, and certainly some expense. This thing could be a life saver, if tshtf. Incredible.

FWIW, I bought the Waterpik SinuSense Neti Bottle. Its got an air valve to regulate flow and comes with 60 packets of rinse.

Oh yeah, forgot to add ... I cut the discomfort in half, with straight water, if the temp was close to body temp. I'm not sure I'll get any more of the rinse, after it runs out.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Have you tried Afrin, which is an OTC for sinus congestion, now but used to be by prescription only, back in the day.... I am also allergic and afrin reallyhelps in keeping me clear.... ....

3. enough

enough Monkey++

No, I haven't. I used a prescription spray for about 6 months, but frankly, I didn't feel like it worked very well.

Is that the spray, that people get hooked on?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nope, and a very little goes a LONG way.... back in the day My EENT doc used it when I was a child, to clean my sinus out when they would get infected... No DRUGS for "Me"... and it kept me alive till I was old enough to have surgury to open up the passages.... at age 12...

5. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I've turned a lot of friends onto the neti pot. A touch of pharma grade salt, baking soda, and a little colloidal silver and a drop or two of peroxide will cure anything.

6. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

I have been battleing a sinus infection for a couple months. recently a friend told me about grapefruit extract. I bought so and put 4-5 drops in a glass of water once a day. Along with the netti pot it seems to be helping. I think a side effect is a weight loss. Droped 6 lbs in 2 weeks.

Jason

7. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

"NeilMed" sells a Neti pot as well as a plastic bottle. I prefer the bottle because you can get some pressure from it. It comes in handy when you are stuffed up.
    I've used it for years and nothing, including medicine, works better for me. No side effects and no concerns.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7