Old school kerosene can availability?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Aug 27, 2017.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

For people who must be warned not to do stupid things,
    I think this is safety warning enough.
    afi_DoNotSetYour-1.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    sec_monkey and BTPost like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

OR, Blow yourself UP....

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

In Navy jargon, that us called a "screaming alpha"! o_O

4. hot diggity

Life wouldn't be near as interesting as it has been without some excitement. I've been blowing stuff up as part of my work in one way or another for almost 40 years. Learning and respecting the dangers of things, and not fearing them has been a constant process as I've grown older. The only thing I've come to fear is rapid deceleration from extremely high speeds. No more interest in jumping out of aircraft, or land-speed racing.

Flammable liquids under pressure...and FIRE! That's an evening ritual as I settle into my rocker to read. Funny, there isn't a single warning on any of my older lanterns to keep away from children, don't breathe this, wash your hands after handling that. Nothing.
    They are the kind of thing that parents used to educate their children about. Some of us still are, and enjoying the time together.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Heh. Always favored lifting blast mats with ampho.

Witch Doctor 01 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. hot diggity

The very last day before I was officially transferred to the retired list I went out with my buddies from EOD to dispose of some excess gear. ;)

I set a water shot of several sticks of C4 in the bottom of a crater. It was deep enough to cause large ripples in the ground over about an acre, but I knew the blast would be directed straight up. In this case, straight up at the canopy of an excessively curious Harrier pilot who passed by low over our range. The mud and water rose almost up to meet him, and could've been really bad for a single engine aircraft, but my estimate of his altitude was spot on. I figured we'd get a call on the radio about the timing of that detonation, which had been my decision, but nothing was ever said about it and I quietly became a retiree the next day. I wonder sometimes if the pilot ever tells stories about how he got curious and flew over a live demolition range where some smiling old guy almost blew him out of the sky.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Not quite the same, but found this one at Tractor Supply Company

20170831_130219.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. hot diggity

I've used that style 5 gallon can at work. Not an easy task to pour slowly from. I'd like to actually handle a one gallon Eagle can. They look silly, but might be a start for a soldering and spot welding project.

You have to keep in mind that my funnel is no more than 2" in diameter, feeding a 1/2" spout.
    Slow, controlled pour is the goal.
    Sloshing kerosene all over the place is easy. I've practiced that enough.

GrayGhost and oldawg like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

10. hot diggity

@Dunerunner, there are lots of nice cans on that site. Thank you! I'll have to keep an eye on that while I try to find one in the wild. :)

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If cans were difficult to handle ,I'd perch the can up high and syphon it ,Harbor 'freight sells a jiggle hose for syphoning I use regularly drawing gas from my 55 gallon drums, into my plastic cans, for transferring to my vehicles .
    I have a regular a barrel pump for the kerosene or diesel .

12. hot diggity

@arleigh, out in the barn I have a little hand crank kerosene pump setup that I use to transfer clear kerosene from 5 gallon cans to quarts. This worked well when I was just doing inside lamps. I could pump it in or out of the lamps without spills... until one winter when I brought a 5 gallon can in to warm up and forgot to hang the pump up. I learned all about siphoning kerosene. Before I noticed it about a half gallon had siphoned out onto the kitchen floor.

Now I'm burning a couple Coleman kerosene lanterns or an Aida on the porch almost every night. These work flawlessly on dyed kerosene, which is easier to find, so I'm using the dyed kerosene and saving the water clear for a rainy decade. I think a traditional one gallon kerosene can would be just right to keep up with these. One can, from gas station pump to lantern fount without making trips to the barn.

13. Jamesruiz0818

Jamesruiz0818 On Hiatus Banned

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7