Old Sixgun Goodness

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Jan 5, 2019.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

This is an Old Model Ruger Vaquero Bisley in .45 Long Colt. The 4.5" barrel makes it one of the most nicely balanced single actions I've ever handled. It's my bear/mountain lion gun for around the property here.
    I think there's a place for a single action in a home/retreat defense plan if for nothing else at least as a backup.
    * A 325gr. +P hard cast wide flat point round has a pretty fair effect, but it sure isn't much fun to shoot.
    20190103_193715.

Motomom34, oldawg, Ganado and 13 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Gotta love the old Six Guns! I think a lot of folks forget just how powerful a big bore hand cannon really is, 6 well placed shots vs 15 small bore sprayed in the general direction are sure gonna finish Da Bidnis right quick and in a hurry like! Love the Ol Rugers, very well made and super strong for those hot loaded defensive needs! Plus, there's just something so cool about a good Ol' Sixer on the hip!
    About the only thing cooler is a pair of them, and perhaps a vest/pocket back up!

Nice Wheely GOG, puts a big smile on my face!

Motomom34, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Please stop posting these pictures,now I (need)one. I am going to tell my wife you made me do it.

Oddcaliber, oldawg, Dont and 8 others like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

That's a beauty!

The thing I like about old revolvers is that I can reduce the load to a comfortable shooting level and still maintain accuracy. With a large meplat they're still going to knock stuff down, even if they're moving a little slower. Something about recoil dynamics usually has hot and mild loads grouping on paper at nearly the same point of aim. Follow up shots are much easier with my mild reloads.

This illustrates the best line I've heard about reloading: It won't save you any money, but it'll let you shoot more. In this case, it lets me enjoy shooting big bore revolvers and rifles a lot more without wearing things out. The firearms, or me.

Ura-Ki, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

SWEET!!!

Ura-Ki, oldman11 and GOG like this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thanks gents, it's pretty sweet and it makes me smile.
    The variety of .45 Long Colt ammo that's available is impressive so I've stocked a nice selection.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have the Ruger .44 mag . I got well used and abused .
    I use it as a back up to my Ruger camp carbine .

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, them new fancy fangled cartridges ain't gonna last, just a passing fad!

J/K

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    AndyinEverson, oldawg, GOG and 2 others like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

45 LC in a +P load.

Kills on one end, maims on the other.

STANGF150, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Wonder if those Ol Rugers can handle full spec Rifle ammo? Now THAT would be serious pain all round, and awesomeness! I love recoil, I figure if it's kicking me, it's kicking ass down range! Lol

GOG, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got a pair of single-action .45LC revolvers that I love, also got a Winchester Trapper in .45LC.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Mostly, if you are shooting Rifle Loads, in a HandGun, a good percentage of the Powder will just be blown out the Muzzle when fired and create One Hell of a Muzzle Flash.... Rifle Powders are much slower burning than Pistol Powders, which causes the above reaction... Where as shooting Pistol Loads in a Rifle, will have the Pwder completely burnt long before the Projectile leaves the Barrel....

GOG, Gator 45/70, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Been debating getting one of those for a while now. How is the muzzle climb on it?

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@GOG That truly is a beauty and, yes, I'm envious. LOL!

Ura-Ki, GOG, oldman11 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Evil Roy models with consecutive serial numbers

20190105_141826.

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What!!! Those things probably are covered with cob-webs,Better send em' to me so that they may get some sunshine!

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and oldawg like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Those are pretty sweet!

Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  18. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I’m getting a fever. I found a Cimarron.45 colt in the local pawn shop $449..00 that looked new. You really could not tell it had been fired. I offered $400.00 and he almost took it.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  19. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@oldman11 I had a 5.5" Cimarron Bisley .45 LC. It was beautiful and very well made & finished.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

I have an Umberti in .45LC and a Rossi lever action in 45LC. The nice think about the 45 is you can load them with Black Powder if you have too some day. Now the Umberti will only take factory spec loads, but the Rossi you can spice up a bit. The wife has a Ruger Red Hawk in .357 which can take the spice, as well as .38 and .38 spec. She also has a Rossi in .357 Mag. I keep telling her she should give that .357 to me, but she never replies and just gives me the stink eye. You can load the .45LC up to just about 45/70 if you have the right rifle. Like say a Marlin. But the little Rossi can take it fairly hot too.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7