Old Tricks from an Old Dog

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Valhalla1, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Valhalla1

Valhalla1 Monkey

Wanted to introduce myself on this site. DW & I have been of common mind on self-reliance in times of discord and lifestyle interruption since Jimmie Carter, (for you youngsters, that was when 'prepping' was called 'survivalism'). We have made good progress on our plans to not only survive, but to thrive in difficult circumstances, and are to the point where we are reaching out to others to create mutually beneficial relationships that we and the other parties can rely on in times of need. For the record, I have absolutely no interest in reverting to a 1,500 a.d. lifestyle in order to live another year.
    2-3 weeks of more primitive living while in transit to another location is OK, so we have the skills and equipment that may be needed, just don't plan on going Rambo in the woods for the rest of our lives.

I have concluded, as many of you have also, that building trust with others when our concerns originate from lack of trust in the very fabric of our current society is a difficult task. It is, however, a very necessary function in the long run. Tribes, groups or societies all last longer than individuals.

I have noticed over the years that for the most part, many folks won't reach out for fear of showing weakness or lack of some skill set that somebody else might think necessary, so they don't reach out to learn those skills or join with others. The other issue MIGHT be that there is a certain 'elitist' attitude for people who have made some strides in prepping toward people that are just starting, or presuming that our well reasoned decisions(for our situation) that we made are the only correct choice, and therefore those decisions are now 'facts' and anyone who disagrees is foolish or deluded. On many websites, I see a whole lot of sniping going on and not much helping others. I truly hope this site is different.

Do the members here try to arrange regional meetups to get some face-time with others to provide the opportunity to meet and begin working with others? If so have they worked out?

I look forward to learning from you and helping where we can so that more people become more self-reliant for the comfort it brings in daily life of knowing 'I got this covered' - just in case.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey @Valhalla1 , glad to have you here and look forward to hearing what you have to say!!!

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree...

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Personally I think this site is different. .. or I would not have stayed. And... like any family we have our personality differences but we do try to settle them like adults.

Looking forward to your posts!
    [welcomeLG]

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Welcome to the site, Valhalla! I hope you enjoy it!:)

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Welcome. Well written intro! What [art of the world are you in?

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the monkey... Take some knowledge, ...Leave some Knowledge... It's the Monkey way....

9. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome to the Monkey tree!

10. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Welcome

11. Cabin Lady

Cabin Lady Monkey

Hi from Saskatchewan. :)

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome, Valhalla.....may your drinking horn be full always!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7