Oldest weapon

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

1917 Enfield, FN49, P-38 1944 Walther wartime maufacture

Ura-Ki, AndyinEverson and techsar like this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Two Remington shotguns. A Sportsman 48 in 16ga and an old 870 Wingmaster 12ga from right after the Korean war.

The 870 was fired so much over the decades that the bolt hardened and shattered about 10 years ago. Remington was so interested in the bolt they sent me a new bolt, springs, a bunch of swag, and 20" barrel with RemChokes for sending the old bolt in for testing.

The Sportsman 48 was my first shotgun. When I got it, my grandpa said if I could fix it, I could have it. The cases were ejected shredded. I flipped the load ring and cleaned the bore and chamber and that blaster killed enough game to fill a pickup during my teens.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

\you mean, something that is not in any registry, something that there is no paper on, nope... don't have anything like that... :cool:

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

There was a time when guns ran naked across America without serial numbers>

5. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I haven’t shot it yet, but my Grandfather when he was like 8 yrs old, found a Springfield 1863 Trapdoor rifle hanging on a couple wood pegs on his upstairs bedroom wall when he and the rest of his family moved into a house in Hardin Montana. It had the Allin Conversion done to it in 1869. My Dad found a guy that traces the serial numbers of these rifles, and this one was issued to a US Army soldier of the 10th Regiment Buffalo Soldiers.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

That reminds me about the Enfield MK1 Jungle Carbine .303Brit I drag out a few times per year. Serial number puts it at a 1945. Always like the short barrel for deer hunting in thick brush. And the ammo is a whole lot cheaper than the .300WM LOL.

CarbineMkI.

techsar, Yard Dart, VisuTrac and 3 others like this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yep recognize it with the integral flash hider. My dad had a collection of old military rifles from WW1 and WW2 back when I was an impressionable young lad. The Lee-Enfields, SMLE (smellie), Mausers and Springfields bring back fond memories. He had one of the Jungle Carbines.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Speaking of the Jungle Carbines, I have two Gawdy Rifles, one is a Enfield Jungle carbine that is Nickle Plated, and a M-1 Garand that was also nickle plated. I saw them and had to have them, just for the funky'ness of them! Turns out the Enfield was done that way at the factory, while the Garand, who knows! Both are fine shooters and function flawlessly!

Looks just like this with out the crap on the forend! LOL
    [​IMG]
    and like this!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  9. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Gibbs Rifle Company , imported by Navy Arms in 1980's made a lot of Enfield style rifles from surplus and new made parts...
    Many were shortened from No.1 and No. 4 rifles and actions and made into Carbines that were not historically made , but should have been , so to speak....Nickle plating was an option... as was a Enfield Carbine in .45-70...
    Sorry for the thread drift.
    Andy

10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Biggest draw back to the old LE Jungle Carbines is they kick like a damn mule. One of these days....... been saying this about this rifle since I bought it back in the 80s.... I am going to put some padding on the shoulder end :)

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

One of the biggest benefits I get from reloading cast bullet loads is that I can reduce the load and adjust the recoil to my liking with accurate loads. 405 gr. hollow base bullets in a light .45/70 Gibb's carbine are comfortable. My .30-30 loads with 170 gr. plated bullets makes a Winchester 94 feel like a Marlin 39A. Sure, they are reduced loads, and require a bit more elevation at longer ranges, but big, slow bullets with a large meplat will put meat on the table without lots of tissue damage. Semi-auto's are a different story, since the loads have to be hot enough to cycle the action, but enough fiddling with powders and bullet weights can help tame them too. Oh, it'll keep your brass nearby too.

Getting back to old weapons, the only really brutal recoil I haven't tamed yet is from .43 Spanish BP loads in a Remington Rolling Block. I'm thinking low pressure smokeless loads will do the trick here.

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Damnit Yard! you should've chatted with me 1st. I'da hooked you up!!

13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

With Bbq sauce and libations?!

techsar, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

AND a new AR!

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gun cleaning

20190405_163819.

16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

OK.... I have these.... Old Things
    Nunchuck and Tonfa
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Crusader Sword and companion dagger
    [​IMG]

And...
    [​IMG]

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gun not swords silly

oldman11, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually the Thread Title says “ Weapons” NOT Guns... and Swords, Knives, Nun-Chucks, and Daggers, as well as Guns, are ALL Weapons... RIGHT?

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@BTPost I know, and I'm giving Dunerunner a hard time lighten up ok?

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Dunerunner like this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, then... Consider this... I am just giving YOU a “ Hard Time”....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7