Olympic Mountain Goats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Mountain goat relocation begins in Olympic National Park
    The Finlander and I used to ride up to the Olympic National Park on his Honda 750 to look at the mountain goats. We always needed binoculars. I remember once at a pullout these two chicks came up to us and asked “are those mountain goats?” I looked up on the bank about 100 yards away at the most and there was a couple of patches of snow. My Pop sort of stumbled through a polite response to these ladies. When they left I said “what was wrong with those ladies?” He replied something about drugs and or alcohol. Cool. Lol. :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yea, relocate the goats because people want to utilize the park without having to deal with anything more dangerous than a chipmunk!

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The real issue is and always was, these goats were NOT native to that area, and with NO Preditors locally and no hunting allowed, they out grew their habitat... Just because some YAHOOs thought they would be good fot the Tourists, to look at....

Meat, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Imported by a hunting group with the intent that they would be hunted, but; after the Olympic Park being declared a National Park that went out the window. I'm thinking the National Park designation is what made the goats a nuisance, even though they were not native. Good they are relocating them, not good the remaining goats will destroyed rather than allowing them to be hunted.

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I would air drop salt blocks instead of killing the herd?

Meat and Dunerunner like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't know about that particular bunch, but some were destroyed a few years ago after catching diseases from domestic sheep. At that time the danger was that the goats were more resistant to diseases than the wild sheep and they were trying to protect both the wild sheep and the domestic sheep from an untreated wild population that could spread the disease over time. Agree that hunting would be better, but given the greens, that is not likely to happen. Similar to problems with buffalo with cattle diseases in Yellowstone, they have resistance to some diseases that cattle do not and act as a source of contamination, or at least that is the ranchers line for limiting the herds, couldn't have anything to do with eating grass on leased land could it?

Meat, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Note to self: Don't pee on the rocks at Mt Olympia when goats are around and being too stupid to carry a firearm....

Meat likes this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I can’t imagine a tougher animal. Maybe the Honey Badger? Lol.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Hey! I am all in favor for those poor animals to be relocated to N. Idaho for us to care for and watch over.. Through scopes..

Alf60, Meat, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

makes me roll my eyes. they don't tell you how many they kill during the relocation.

I witnessed an antelope 'tagging' operation once. They were tagging antelope to study them on a large ranch in the west. Chase me with helicopters and dart them at 40 miles an hour. the lose 25% of the antelope they dart so that they can put transmitters on the, to broken necks. The State thinks that acceptable in the name of science but they wont issue hunting tags. Go figure

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7