OMG! I can't believe it!

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Lol, ya this is actually making me think... maybe I should get one of his high-end knives before he is famous and charge 1k+ a pop.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Most of my stuff runs from $200 to $250. A big ol' CPM D2 Fighter with sandblasted micarta handles, $225. 6" D2 Super Camp, $225. CPM D2 Landshark, $220. Then I send them for leather sheaths which adds $45, and that the cost to me - I make nothing on it.

You know you want it - Brokor is already first in line! W00T!

3. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Very nice knife, and congrats on the magazine.
    Now what is are these tapes I am hearing about? I have the firebrick, but tapes?

What can you tell us about the knive, materials used? forged or stock removal? what kinda heattreat?

4. Valkman

When I first started I bought the Loveless tape on how he makes knives - didn't really help me but it was neat. I think what Bear first sent was the Wally Hayes set of 2 tapes where he shows how to make 2 different knives - those are expensive but very much worth it. Later he sent me Ed Fowler's tape on forging 52100 steel and that's a great one. I also have Steve Johnson's DVD "How To Make A Sub-Hilt Fighter" great stuff. I have asked Mr. Johnson if I can visit him later on in the year and he said yes!

That knife is a 7" Super Camp. I believe HT was done by my friend Mark Terrel but I usually use Paul Bos. It's 12" overall, hollow ground from 1/4" D2. The scales are giraffe bone. :) I haven't tried forging - don't know if I ever will the way things are going!

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think another is being born...

I remember when we were all encouraging Valkman and look where he is now. Congratulations Vman

6. Valkman

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very cool!!! Glad to hear you are getting the recognition for your craftsmanship. The knife looks great.

8. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Congrats man, love your bladework. Good luck with the flood of orders soon to be coming in!

9. Valkman

Thanks and welcome to SM!

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

congrats Don!!! That's great. I will pick up that issue when it comes out. I used to have a subscription but let it expire. I have the one I won in the raffle on my wall in a display case. Might be worth a lot of dough someday!!! An original from the master bladesmith's early days!![winkthumb]

11. Valkman

I let it expire too - maybe that was a mistake? Doh!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7