On burial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have often joked with my wife that if I croak, just invite the usual suspects over and then bury me out back and have a party while splitting up my stuff.

Was reading Backwoods Home today and came across some interesting facts about burial of our dead...

Seems that in all but 5 states, It's legal to keep the body at home rather than whisking it off to a funeral home. Also perfectly legal to bury on your own property. Embalming is an Option, not a requirement. So is a casket and there is a Co that sells "Cardboard Caskets"... lol

I dictated this wish to my wife tonight... No casket, no funeral home, no nothing...I want a hole dug in the back yard and me tossed in. All the quicker to recycle my Carbon back to the earth.

I have always scoffed at the idea of spending $7-$10K on a funeral...

YMMV

ColtCarbine, tulianr and CATO like this.
  2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Remember Melbo, funerals aren't for the dead, but an opportunity for the living to send you off to the wild unknown. Knowing you, I think a big Viking funeral pyre would be more like it, sending you off to Valhalla while we drink, shoot Glocks and AR's up into the air. We could even have your crew build a nice log funeral pyre five stories high.

Then again, it is your funeral.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I am pretty sure that my grave will be a shallow scrape in a national park somewhere, I mean that is where all the bad folks get rid of all the other bodies isn't it ...????? Failing that I may meet a tree shredder along the way, that they have to get me frozen right first as a thawed body does not feed that well and tents to "gum up" the machine.

Andy

4. melbo

The article mentioned that it can take 650 lbs of wood to do this... :lol:

5. melbo

I've thought of that too. My early demise just may be a shallow spot or an out of the way pond... Oh well, so long someone posts about it

6. E.L.

You don't want your friends to have any fun at all do you?

7. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would really rather ppl have a good time at my funeral. My opinion is I will still be there as long as they carry me in their hearts. No need to mourn, cause I will then be closer to them than ever. JMO. But yeah I would rather them have a party on my dime than drop a mother load on a funeral. But if they bury my ass in a piano crate I will haunt their asses! No Box for me, lol.

8. melbo

I just mention it cuz I don't have that much wood around. You'll have to bring it.

Actually, burn or bury, I don't care... You can raffle it off here on the monkey or at least put up a poll first.

Oh, and I want 'live feed' here too. For those that can't make it.. b::
    But this is all a long way off

9. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Never know how far off it could be. Last year in a single moment my boss lost his 25y/o son, his wife of one month and her sister in a car accident. We are all grains of sand in the hour glass.

10. melbo

that's the truth... No one ever 'plans' to get in a head on collision when they leave for work in the morning, yet it happens everyday

11. Andy the Aussie

Very true mate, I have been resigned to dying young for many years. Lifestyle thing I guess and before any of you suggested I am not talking about AIDS.....!!!! I don't have THAT lifestyle.... :x :x

12. melbo

but now that you bring that up... How clean are Roos?

13. Andy the Aussie

No problem there either mate...... :shock: :shock: [beer]

14. E.L.

This thread is really going downhill................

Andy, kill anything lately?

15. Andy the Aussie

Downhill ?? That is an understatement... :p

I was away for a week last month but came down with the flu the day I left. Pretty much spent the week in the cabin in front o the fire. They were doing a little fire hazard reduction buring on the plcae and this pretty much spooked everything. I passed up a nice Red Stag the first arvo out and have been kicking myself since...!!!

16. E.L.

A bad day hunting beats a good day at work, but maybe not with the flu. Better luck next time. The hogs have been tearing up our feeders, I am not going to hunt them off the feeders at this time, I just wanted to make sure they didn't leave the area. As soon as I get a new mag release for my G3, I am going to try it out on some pigs. If it gets cooler in the mean time I might try to take one with an AK or AR.

17. Andy the Aussie

Back in the day I shot a crap load of hogs with SLRs (pick of the crop for the job if you ask me) ARs and SKS. Even a couple with an F88 (Aussie AUG). The 5.56 will put them down but you just have to keep your wits about you.

18. E.L.

It has been too hot here lately, then again work hasn't given me a chance either.

19. Andy the Aussie

.....thta would be the SINGLE biggest impediment to me hunting no doubt at all. Mrs Andy is HAPPY when I go bush as she 1. gets the bed to herslf and 2. I come back in a much beeter mood then when I left.

Andy [beer]

20. melbo

I had to scroll up and see what the thread was even about...

:lol:

I love it when a thread goes to hell! [beer]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7