Onan Generator Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Bleed out the air as best you can , or you could make a 22K psi missile

2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Do you know if that threaded rod comes out? I don't think I can get to the engine end of that shaft to tap it.

HK_User likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, the threaded Rod does come out.. Look at the Onan Parts & Service Manuals for a blow-up of the Genend, and you thread the Rotor Shaft end that fits in the end bearing...

Gator 45/70, BenP and HK_User like this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Do you have the model number of that beast? Maybe we can find manuals that will be some use.

Gator 45/70, BenP and HK_User like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have all the Onan Manuals in .PDF format here.. Just PM me with the COMPLETE Model number and an eMail address that can except Large Attacments, and I will supply them a any Monkey... Or ask for them over in the Onan forum at www.smokstack.com...

6. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I will put 2 nuts on the bearing end of the threaded rod and see if I can get it loose. Right now I cannot tap the armature shaft with a grease fitting because the grease would just come out the end with the threaded rod.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't know about that particular genset, but in many the shaft for the generator fits on a tapered shaft on the motor. We have a puller with two long arms that goes over the rotor, between the windings, and usually if you take the threaded bolt that goes thru the end cap bearing out about 1/4 in' put tension on the rotor with the arms and put pressure on the center bolt of the puller on the bolt and hit it with a hammer, the tension will pop it right off the taper. Didn't have luck just using a puller as length of bolt and the tight fit of the taper will keep it from just pulling off. The inertia of the rotor and the force on the bolt with a hammer usually works, sometimes it is rusted bad and nothing works, but usually the same tricks you use for removing the flywheel on a small engine will work on rotors.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7