One Afternoon Neck Knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bear, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks Tristan....
    I thought it was pretty nice in a simple utilitarian sort of way... not gonna win any beauty pageants... but a good user...
    Go here to check out all types of great supplies to make your own in an afternoon...
    Brad is the man in charge.... he's a great guy....
    Thompson's Scandinavian Knife Supply, LLC

2. emk

emk Monkey+++

Hey Craig, Don't worry I know that you will be there. Actually I have my 40th class reunion this weekend and will see a neighbor of yours there. He is a Kona coffee grower that I have not seen or spoken to in over 30 years. I now have 2 real good excuses to come over there to visit. Knives,coffee and I'll bring the scotch..

Elliott

3. Bear

Have a great reunion!...
    Those growers on the Big Island have a tough time with the drought going on there... hope your friend is doing well...
    Yup Knives and coffee... we gotta get together some day.... you bring the scotch and bring the habana's..... :D

4. kevinh

kevinh Monkey+

Quickie knife

Nice Bear. Really like that handle.

5. Bear

Thanks for the compliment... got some nice moose antler tips... I'm gonna give a try...
    I like the antler handles... feel nice in the hand as well...

6. tiny80022

tiny80022 Monkey+

love it

7. Bear

Two more quick and dirty "afternoon neck knives"...
    Not pretty or perfect... just use it and abuse it, no worries, neck knives...b::
    These are for Melbo to play with... [beer]
    DSCF2152.JPG DSCF2156.JPG DSCF2158.JPG DSCF2159.JPG

8. Bear

Made a couple flints go with them for kicks this afternoon...
    DSCF2161.JPG DSCF2162.JPG

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Very nice...

10. Bear

Thanks for the compliment...
    These are fun and fast to make... time is at a premium with work and family so at least I get to make these for kicks...

Also wanted to thank Tiny for the compliment as well... these are cool and I enjoy making them...

11. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I have to say Bear, they appear to be getting better with each one you do.

How about posting a step by step next time? I'd love to see your process for a stick tang.

12. Bear

Thanks... yeah... learn new tricks each time...
    Will do... pretty easy knife to make... hardest part is the guard and drilling out the horn just right....
    Good stuff and fun...
    Even the kydex is getting easier... like the knives to go in with a solid "click".... upside down has to be secure...
    So Melbo... it may be kinda tough to pull out the first time... but you get the hang of it... all of these are solid clicks...
    Take Care....

13. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I did one stick tang. I goofed it a bit learning the process and could do it a ton better the second time. I drilled a bit more ID than I needed. My main lesson learned was to drill 2x small ID holes to fit the wide part near the guard and hand file into an oval opening. I ended up with a good tight fight utilizing a crap ton of epoxy that matched the antler pretty well. It blended fair and turned out well enough to be proud of. I can't even remember what the blank was- some scandi ground bushcraft type knife. I use it for whittling mostly. I never did make a sheath for it....

14. Bear

Sounds like fun... yeah... drilling out these horns take some time to fit the tang... drill... file... check fit... file ... check fit... file... check fit... well you know the rest :0)

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

16. Bear

Thanks buddy.... delivery should be by friday... maybe tommorrow...
    Yeah... test it to destruction... good feedback...
    I'll just make you another or two or three...
    Thanks again...
    C

17. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

I really like the look of those Bear,really nice work Bro.

18. Bear

Thanks Bruddah....
    Better check with Melbo after he receives them... if they fall apart or break... its back to the drawing board :0)
    Hope all is well...
    Hope to start on your bearded axe soon...
    Take Care,
    C

19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Bear! You've totally outdone yourself with this package.

Got the 2 neckers as well as the flints today. Beautiful work and I launched a shower of sparks into the sink in my bar a bunch of times until my wife smelled something burning! Stainless fumes harmful?

As a side note to others reading this, Bear also asked me if we could use any little girl clothes: "if we don't mind Hand Me Downs" Ha... good one as Bear's handmedowns to include jeans, shirts, sweaters and shoes that were all 'little girl dreamy' still had the tags on them. Where do you find sweaters in Hawaii??

Em ran around the house on a fashion show for about 2 hours and tried on every combination of the stuff Bear sent. It was an early Christmas here at the melbo house and we thank you sincerely.

You're a really cool guy and although our daily conversations have been curtailed by 1) you getting a job, and 2) me getting a job, we still think about you and pary for you and your family all the time.

This probably should have gone in a PM but you have sent more care packages to Monkeys around the globe in the past 5 years that I wanted this to be a public Thank You.

20. Bear

Wow... you and the family are welcome...
    Especially little "m"... glad she liked the goodies....
    Oh and glad you liked the combinations... I'll forge a few so you have a couple of my handmades... those will have to do till I get around to some hand pounded steel jobs...
    Good deeds... for a good friend and his family....
    Talk soon....
    Take Care and best to you and the family....
    C...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7